scours and stiff joints?

Help Support CattleToday:

babymoo

Reaction score
I have a 2 month old calf that I am bottle feeding. I have been battling scours for about a month. I've done medicated milk replacer, probios, and electorlytes. He just dosen't seem to be getting any better. Yesterday I noticed that his front legs seem to be stiffening up at the knee joint. Could these two problems be related? For a little history...He was born healthy and nursed from mom for a couple of days and then she abandoned him. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

hmm. the first thing that came to mind was joint ill stemming from a navel infection. then i reread the post and saw it said the calf is two months, so it probably isnt that b/c that develops sooner most of the time (unless it has been brewing for a while..). so another and mo better idea could be some type of mineral deficiency.

edit: why did the cow abandon the calf? did the calf actually receive any milk from the cow or did you just see it "nursing".

This calf is actually an adoptee... A neighborly older gentleman is unable to do the bottle feeding anymore and asked if i would raise him. The info that I got was that he had nursed, and when i got him he was spunky and looked healthy (shiny coat, good appetite) These problems have just developed in the last 3-4 wks. I also have a 1 mo. old calf that shares the barn with the sick one. Same diet, same conditions and no problems! As to why he was abandoned, I do not know.

Stiff joints is generally Naval Ill (Joint Ill) or White Muscle Disease (Selenium Deficiency).
If it is Naval Ill, it has set up brewing for a long time like Beefy said. VERY hard to handle now, will only get worse if that's what it is and you are unable to stop it with antibiotics.
Under the assumption that it COULD be WMD, I would automatically give it a BoSe shot about 5cc SQ (prescription drug)

Latest posts