Scottish Highland cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We sold off our herd (Hereford/Limousin mix and pure Limousin) since the water situation was getting pretty bad. Next spring, since our place is Highland Ranch, we think perhaps we might start again with Scottish Highlands. Any information on the breed will be appreciated, re weight gain, calving, temperament, etc. ... we have read up on it but owners/breeders of course might have more insights. Thanks to all who may reply. BG

[email protected]

> We sold off our herd
> (Hereford/Limousin mix and pure
> Limousin) since the water
> situation was getting pretty bad.
> Next spring, since our place is
> Highland Ranch, we think perhaps
> we might start again with Scottish
> Highlands. Any information on the
> breed will be appreciated, re
> weight gain, calving, temperament,
> etc. ... we have read up on it but
> owners/breeders of course might
> have more insights. Thanks to all
> who may reply. BG I have a small herd of Highlands. I find them easier to work with than other cattle I've been around. They do grow slower than other breeds unless you use in a crossbred system. Highlands have little trouble calving, are good mothers and milkers. One benefit is a 1000# highland cow eats less in the winter than a big Limousin cow.

[email protected]

Thanks, Casey! There are four or five Highland herds in this area ... we plan to visit one next spring, to see the breed "live." I just found out that Galloway cattle seem to be very similar to Highlands, but are polled. Same characteristics for calving, foraging, docility, etc. So perhaps we will go with Galloways instead, if there are any in western PA. We can always change Highland Ranch to Galloway Acres. LOL

[email protected]