Scotch Highland cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My husband & I would like to get started in the Scotch Highlander business. We are BRAND NEW at this. Neither one of us have been reared on a farm, but we really want to do this. How much land do you need? What kind of feed do you need? Here's a really dumb question...if we get a male and female, will they produce a calf, or do we need to do in-vitro? I probably have a million other questions, but thought I would start with these.

[email protected]

For starter I would recommend the book "A guide to raising beef cattle" by Heather Smith Thomas. It is available from NASCO at "http://www.nascofa.com/prod/Home", that should get you off to a good start

dunmovin farms

> My husband & I would like to
> get started in the Scotch
> Highlander business. We are BRAND
> NEW at this. Neither one of us
> have been reared on a farm, but we
> really want to do this. How much
> land do you need? What kind of
> feed do you need? Here's a really
> dumb question...if we get a male
> and female, will they produce a
> calf, or do we need to do
> in-vitro? I probably have a
> million other questions, but
> thought I would start with these.

NASCO

> My husband & I would like to
> get started in the Scotch
> Highlander business. We are BRAND
> NEW at this. Neither one of us
> have been reared on a farm, but we
> really want to do this. How much
> land do you need? What kind of
> feed do you need? Here's a really
> dumb question...if we get a male
> and female, will they produce a
> calf, or do we need to do
> in-vitro? I probably have a
> million other questions, but
> thought I would start with these.

Hi, As far as land goes they recommend 1 cow per three acres in my area,which is Oklahoma. As long as both(bull and cow) are fertile they will produce a calf. As far as food goes there are a lot of choices. Check with your feed store. They normally have some pretty well educated people around to answer most any question or a vetinarian will be able to give you some ideas. They can also tell what kind of vaccination programs are required in your area. I probably learned more from these than any. Neighbors are pretty helpful if you can find some that are diligent in there care of their animals. Hope this helps.

Latest posts