Scholarships for college and the same old BS.

Help Support CattleToday:

ram

Reaction score
Our daughter qualifies for most of the scholarships available to honor students. But...the amount varies according to what our tax returns look like. Why the heck should it matter what's on our income tax returns? She's the one thats going to school, and she'll be 18 years old when she starts college. Let's make sure we penalize the parents for busting there tails for their kids.

It should not matter what is on the parents' tax return, but it surely does. The honor students should get everything that they have worked for. They are the ones that earned it. I still say people who spend all their lives working and saving are the ones who are penalized.
I never shall forget my daughter losing part of her governor's honor scholarship when then Gov. Barnes decided to cut it. She and valedictorians across the state had already been awarded this scholarship and then he cut it,when things got in a tight and money was needed in other places.
Same was true when I graduated from high school. If your parents could afford to pay your tuition, you could only apply for very few scholarships

I don't understand all that. When I started college, my brother was still in high school. Even though my parents didn't make just a whole bunch, I couldn't get very much help with Pell grant types. When my brother started college, he could get help because I was also in college but I still didn't get any of that same help. It never made sense to me. My parents weren't going to college; I was, and they weren't able to help us financially, but because whoever thought they made too much, I was penalized.

ram":39g9h38k said:
Our daughter qualifies for most of the scholarships available to honor students. But...the amount varies according to what our tax returns look like. Why the heck should it matter what's on our income tax returns? She's the one thats going to school, and she'll be 18 years old when she starts college. Let's make sure we penalize the parents for busting there tails for their kids.
Did you claim her on your most recent tax returns?
If so, then that is why it matters.

I don't agree with it, but that is why it is like it is.

Of course I did she's my last dependent.

I don't agree with it, but that is why it is like it is.[/quote]

That's really my only complaint Greybeard, it shouldn't matter what the child's parents have or don't have, when it comes to education for the kids.

Hopefully, for her sake, it won't be worse when she gets there. Kids with free rides don't seem to appreciate what's given them. They feel entitled. Take over her television programs, change channels etc. long list.

Mine qualified for many. Friends in power said, "You make too much money." Historical societies wanted to help and couldn't. She received some sports assistance. Nothing Academic. It went to kids with lower GPAs.

Brute 23":27stklft said:
That's why the whole program is bs. The govt grants are welfare and the loans are slavery. Pick your poision.

I was in college and saw where that money went. Very little of it went to education.
That's why so many owe so much when the finish college. They not only borrow enough for actual college fees but a lot for living a high life style while they're there. Then wonder why they are expected to pay it back.

TexasBred":1rd2dsew said:
Brute 23":1rd2dsew said:
That's why the whole program is bs. The govt grants are welfare and the loans are slavery. Pick your poision.

I was in college and saw where that money went. Very little of it went to education.
That's why so many owe so much when the finish college. They not only borrow enough for actual college fees but a lot for living a high life style while they're there. Then wonder why they are expected to pay it back.

:nod:

Why is college so expensive... because the colleges know the govt will lend it.

Any one notice you can finance a car for 6 or 7 years now? Guess what... cars are also more expensive now.

Why were billions of dollars spent on the Eagle Ford Shale.... because someone would lend money for it.

Ram I wish you the best of luck. Getting that oldest her engineering degree was expensive. Best money I have ever spent. She's a licensed PE now. Doing very well for herself.

Wish the baby girl would have taken that route !!

backhoeboogie":1nwmi36t said:
Ram I wish you the best of luck. Getting that oldest her engineering degree was expensive. Best money I have ever spent. She's a licensed PE now. Doing very well for herself.

Wish the baby girl would have taken that route !!

Good for her! I hope the work environment has changed for female engineers in the past 20 years. When my sister walked into her first job (as a Chem E for an aerospace defense firm), her boss told her the first day that he didn't think women should be engineers. Later, he tried to get her to falsify reports---her (government contract) project was under budget and he wanted her to pad it to make up for another project that was over budget. When she refused, he demoted her. He also complained that she didn't live it up on business trips so her expense reports made the guys look bad.

It doesn't matter if you list them as a dependent or not-- under 24 parents income is considered, even if the kids has not lived with you in years. Found that out the second time my son went to school.

It is better- when my son went(the first and 2nd time) we had low income and high assets. He didn;t qualify for most scholarships because of the assets. They told him to have us sell some of the farm to help pay for his college.
10 yrs latter still the same situation but the daughter qualifies for academic scholarships , they no longer look at farm assets. Made my first kid really mad.

ram":3im4hjy6 said:

Those who set aside $ for scholarships get to set the terms of them. Some scholarships are solely merit-based (do not look at finances at all, just academics and perhaps extracurricular involvement). Others place a greater weight on need. Sounds like at least some of your daughter's scholarships determine eligibility by merits but have a sliding scale for the amount of the award based on family's finances (i.e., a combination of financial need and merit).

College students can declare themselves independent (and thus their family's $ won't be considered in awarding grants, loans etc) once they are more self-supporting. The rules change now and again but last I checked, the colleges consider things like whether the student was claimed as dependent on the last tax return(s), where their living expenses are coming from, and maybe their age.

The financial aid system isn't perfect but does have to balance very difficult and competing goals/interests. The main problem IMHO is that college costs have outpaced inflation and the grads' job market. New fancy dining halls, rec centers, etc etc. And state universities have gotten WAY less funding from their states, too: in NY, the SUNY state universities have been hamstrung by the fact that the state legislature gives them less and less $ every year (huge cuts during the recession), but haven't let them raise tuition to sufficiently compensate. Net result: tuition is fairly reasonable but students can't get the classes they need, and room and board is crazy-high.

I invested in Texas Tomorrow Fund. It sure helped for my three kids. Last one received a full ride, so used it for a law degree. Seemed expensive when I started them in 1971.

Does your local Farm Bureau have a scholarship program? They don't usually give out a lot but it will help.

Another thing, community, and Jr. colleges are your friend. Get all of the core stuff done at the lower colleges for cheap, then move on from there.

Just thinking off the top of my head. If I had enough money to provide scholarships, I'd probably be inclined to give more money to an intelligent person from a deprived background. I'd probably be less inclined if they were already getting financial aide.

Bigfoot":4vuqiwlf said:
Just thinking off the top of my head. If I had enough money to provide scholarships, I'd probably be inclined to give more money to an intelligent person from a deprived background. I'd probably be less inclined if they were already getting financial aide.

:nod:

Latest posts