scary heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

lilcowgirl

Reaction score
took this little heifer to her first show, scared silly, handled great at home practically bolted off the trailer. tips needed on working with that before the next show. already handling her evreyday, tying, walking etc. just need to know how to calm them down amongst excitement.

You will be suprised that the next time you get her out she will act just fine. It's just something about that first show.

Just like cowboy said . . . the first show they always play up. we always try to take our young animals to a one day show before the royals, that way they have seen it all before and know what to do. I have actually broken in a few animals this way as well, ones that you absolutely couldn't break at home. manage to get them on the truck and into the beds at the show, and they are a completely different animal afterwards. Good luck with your heifer, have fun! :D

As Cowboy and Keren have said, it's just that first show. I bet she'll be alright come the next show. Though I would also do d6's suggestion and get that radio into the barn for her. Good luck!

Jay

the trailer ride spooks them sometimes. if you can, haul her to a couple different places like a friends house and unload her.

As the other's have said, they almost ALWAYS play up at the first show, I had a Droughtmaster heifer jump off the ramp about halfway down and I ended up on the ground, and it was very fun, long story short, they usually play up the first show.

We just take our calves to as many places as possible. If you take them anywhere once or twice before a show they get used to it real fast.

At home you need to try to have as much commotion around them when their tied as possible. Definately have a radio on and turned up, try to have people walking around them, have a truck drive by, tractors, anything that makes noise and moves around. Just make sure their tied good and dont go hauling butt around them and scare them more, just slowly go back and forth. Ive always had good luck like this. My animals would go into their first shows and not have one problem, well, except when the photographer shook a pom pom in my heifers face and scared her, which resulted in me having a broken foot.

I had the exact opposite this past weekend. A young bull and a heifer... neither act real great at the house, but at the show they couldnt have acted much better. Outside of the bull being a little stubborn walking they both acted surprisingly well.

Ryan":2qlstuts said:
I had the exact opposite this past weekend. A young bull and a heifer... neither act real great at the house, but at the show they couldnt have acted much better. Outside of the bull being a little stubborn walking they both acted surprisingly well.

I had a steer like that this year. I had a hard time handling him at home, but when it came to shows he was perfect as could be.

Go with what everyone has said above. They all work wonders. Make sure to play a different variety of music every once in a while, mix it up a little. 8)

Colorado2008":m8rbc97p said:
Ryan":m8rbc97p said:

I had a steer like that this year. I had a hard time handling him at home, but when it came to shows he was perfect as could be.

Go with what everyone has said above. They all work wonders. Make sure to play a different variety of music every once in a while, mix it up a little. 8)

I have had several heifers act that way and 2 steers do that. But i agree play music and mix it up it will help.

Haul her to as many places as you can.. hoof trimming, vet, even a friends for a few hours. She'll be fine.. just too much going on at one time for her. She'll get used to it.

The heifer I hauled to San Antonio last year was a DOLL.. she actually loved everything going on. I'd take her to the wash rack and let her stand there and watch everyone.. that and the midway. She'd just stand there and stare at everything.

thanks for the replies, I'm in the process of training another little bull and I sure don't want him out of control. So I'll be trying everything i can.

Latest posts