Sausage and Cabbage

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
This recipe is from a Progressive Farmer cookbook called Country Place Cookbook published in 1993.

This is pretty good as is.

Now to put additional touches. Instead of water use broth - chicken or vegetable.
I add a can of Rotel tomatoes cause I like the added zing.
A quarter cup or so of grated carrots gives extra flavor.
A little green pepper and mushroom if you like.
Recipe doubles easily if you need a bigger dish say for pot luck dinners.

Variation on sausage is to use your favorite meatball recipe. As I said about Grannysoo's meatloaf recipe. I think that would make pretty good meatballs, instead of a dicing the vegetables go with a finer mince. In keeping with the sausage theme use all sausage or 2 parts sausage (the kind in a tube) to 1 part hamburger.

I make cabbage and sausage a couple of times a month. One thing that has worked extremely well is chicken sausage. Yes, CHICKEN sausage! We first found it in Publix grocery stores, but now WallyWorld is carrying it too.

One big frying pan, sausage cut into 1" pieces and cooked slowly, then add cabbage, salt and pepper. It's fast, simple, and great.

I'll have to try the recipe that you listed too. Thanks!

Not long ago (but long enough for me not to remember where) I got to sample some chicken sausage. Wasn't to bad. The ground turkey and chicken still don't do much for me, but then maybe I just haven't tripped over the right recipe or figured out how to use it.

The flour in the sausage and cabbage recipe thickens the juices from the cabbage. Kind of makes a gravy.

We cook cabbage and sausage on the grill .

Just take and make a boat, pocket or what ever out of foil, add cut cabbage, onions, sausage and quarter stick of butter. Close it up and let it cook for about and hour. This is usually a side dish when I cook pork chops on the grill.

I am going to try ya"lls recipe some time.

Cooked some of the chicken sausage tonight...

If you can find it, try this:

al fresco / All Natural

Roasted Garlic with onions and herbs
Chicken Sausage

No artificial ingredients / 70% less fat.

We have found this brand/type at Publix.

As the kids would say, this stuff is off the chain! :banana:

I always make a good sausage gray first, then add cabbage last and let it cook down. According to the progressive farmer recipe they put the cabbage first. To me, the cabbage would cook down before the sausage is good and tender.
Another thing I like to do with a left over brown pork gravy is throw some cabbage in it when reheating, let it smother, and it's like a whole new meal.

Latest posts