Salt and vitamin A

Help Support CattleToday:

4T

Reaction score
What is the importance of Salt in processing and utilizing vitamin A and other nutrients? I was told salt is critical in assiting in the digestion/processing and utilization of vitamin A, etc... and other minerals. Can someone provide insight how this works in cattle?

Hmmm - not sure on that one. Salt, like all minerals are needed - and they all need to be balanced. I know in a mineral mix, salt can KILL/destroy vitamins. I'm not the nutritionalist in the family - so I don't pay close attention.

4T":1ok84i9l said:
What is the importance of Salt in processing and utilizing vitamin A and other nutrients? I was told salt is critical in assiting in the digestion/processing and utilization of vitamin A, etc... and other minerals. Can someone provide insight how this works in cattle?

I think ALL minerals are important in helping processing and utilizing any vitamins that are important to help animals function, and vice versa.

Salt, as in NaCl or Calcium salts? If it's NaCl, the Na in that salt compound is important in that it functions in nerve transmission (like message transmissions), and osmotic regulation and acid-base balance. So this would go in hand with Vitamin A's functions: normal maintenance of the eyes, membrane tissue, digestive, respiratory, nerve and bone growth. And of course the chlorine in the NaCl salt compound aids in digestion in the presence of HCl in the stomach, as well as osmotic regulation, and acid-base balance.

Calcium salts, or just straight calcium, functions in bone and teeth stucture, as well as muscle contraction, transmission of impulses from nerve to muscle (Sodium does this as well, like I said before), etc. So this type of salt would also aid in vitamin A's functions of normal maintenance of the eyes (optic nerves), and other things.

Like I said before, all different minerals and vitamins and nutrients all comingle and coexist to help the body of any animal, including cattle, properly function, utilize, maintain, and process different nutrients.

Hope that helps a little.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":55g38tsy said:
I know in a mineral mix, salt can KILL/destroy vitamins.

I dunno about that...maybe when salt's at high, toxic levels, and mingled with other minerals and it degrads specific vitamins, but I doubt about all vitamins in general.

Just my two cents.

IluvABbeef":3dys3h9e said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3dys3h9e said:

I dunno about that...maybe when salt's at high, toxic levels, and mingled with other minerals and it degrads specific vitamins, but I doubt about all vitamins in general.

Just my two cents.
It seems quite apparent that you are more informed about this subject than I am.
I was referring to plain salt. We have 22% salt in our loose mineral mix (along w/ calcium, phos, mag & all the traces & Vit). Hubby always said you don't want to buy a lot "ahead" because the salt deteriorates either Vit A or E - not sure.
Your answer was MUCH more informative :p

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1bzavey0 said:
IluvABbeef":1bzavey0 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1bzavey0 said:

Just my two cents.
It seems quite apparent that you are more informed about this subject than I am.
I was referring to plain salt. We have 22% salt in our loose mineral mix (along w/ calcium, phos, mag & all the traces & Vit). Hubby always said you don't want to buy a lot "ahead" because the salt deteriorates either Vit A or E - not sure.
Your answer was MUCH more informative :p

It might be vitamin E that is susceptible to degradation from NaCl (normal salt), but I think Vitamin A is also affected. (I know you were referring to plain salt). Carotene, precursor of Vitamin A, is reduced (or deteriorated, same deal) when added with some minerals (oxidizing agents [yeah I know, it's a bit sciency]), as well as some organic acids (not sure which, though). Another thing that would deteriorate vitamin A (or carotene) is long storage times, so adding salt when vitamins have been stored for a long time might also further deteriorate it.

Now, as for vitamin E, I don't know much about whether it's affected by salt or what, but I do know that Vitamin E interacts with vitamin A, so that might have something to do with it.

Here's the thing, Jeanne - the understanding of this is from knowing my Animal Nutrition (from what I took in school this past term), which helped me try to answer this question. At least, I HOPE it answers 4T's question...

Just my two cents worth.

I definetly appreciate all your comments folks. I imagine I will think in terms of moderation and balance. Thank you!

I'm not sure what level of salt is toxic since it is often fed free choice. All minerals and vitamins are inter-related. Vitamin A often deteriorates when stored for long periods of time. I probably wouldn't want to store vitamin supplements for more than 6 months. I am unaware of deterioration of Vitamins D & E.

4T":2g23j5dl said:
I definetly appreciate all your comments folks. I imagine I will think in terms of moderation and balance. Thank you!

Your very welcome! :)

kyblockhead":29uykmiv said:
I'm not sure what level of salt is toxic since it is often fed free choice. All minerals and vitamins are inter-related. Vitamin A often deteriorates when stored for long periods of time. I probably wouldn't want to store vitamin supplements for more than 6 months. I am unaware of deterioration of Vitamins D & E.

ALL minerals have certain quantities that get them to the point that they are considered toxic. With salt, the only toxicity you get is if there's limited water available and livestock is fed a high salt diet. But since that's rare (hardly hear anything like that happening on here...and water's available ad libitum), then the toxicity thing ain't something to worry about (Not that I meant your worried, just fyi.)

Deterioration in Vit.'s D and E? Not necessarily...Vitamin D can have poor stability when mixed with minerals, especially Calcium carbonate. And yet it's more stable than Vit. A... Vit E I'm not certain that it's susceptible to degredation either (I have a feeling it's not all that apparent) but it probably does, just it's not all that obvious.

Just my $0.02.

Latest posts