Sales managers (auctioneers) and more purebred BS

Help Support CattleToday:

alacattleman":2ao4jqyd said:
i like what a old man told another fellow one time,, who had asked the old man for a favor...'''' come on now the fellow said,, you scratch my back ill scratch yours .... the old man said yes,, you scratch mine ill scratch yours.......... but i aint kissin; your damed ass :cowboy:
:clap: :clap:

I think we have all seen some sales where conscience and common sense failed to show up that day.

We see the same crapola in the Longhorn Auctions. Some "high-roller" pays $80,000 for a cow and then his alleged "buddy" buys one of his for $75,000. End result, only $5,000 net cash changed hands. However, the "sale results" that get published show two sales of $80,000 and $75,000.

IMO very misleading to those that read the results of the auctions.

Also, have seen some LH's sell for $100K, $150K and all. There is no way on God's green earth that one would ever recover that cost...even with some embryo flushing...maybe if the cow lived to be 50 years old, calf every year and every calf sold for over $3,000... ;-)

It's all about integrity. They either have it or they don't. It's like taking bulls to a consignment sale. If your not willing to take the highest bid regardless, then don't take them to the sale.

40-4171":1jyhj72b said:
It's all about integrity. They either have it or they don't. It's like taking bulls to a consignment sale. If your not willing to take the highest bid regardless, then don't take them to the sale.

I have no problem with a breeder putting a floor on his cattle as long as it's above board. If I have a maximium in mind that I'm willing to pay, I see no reason a breeder shouldn't have a minimum he's willing to take. I favor the Cowboy Auction format that Kit Pharo uses.

Now, bidding against mythical bidders, I DO have a problem with that!

George

I guess we are extremely fortunate to have an honest, reputable sales manager. No monkey business & he gets the job done. And we are far from being naive about sales. Been buyers & sellers for 40 years.

I'm as dumb as anyone and am not a fast learner. I've been stung many times, but it has finally sunk in. Don't settle for something that is not just what you want, don't get infatuated with the hype, don't buy if the cows have a better hair cut and/or look like they've had a better life than you, don't buy at the sale "after" the dispersal - the ones that they "couldn't find" and don't flush a cow to soon. Many of those high production cows tend to milk themselves out of a job. I've had better luck with the average cow. Some wise men have stated that the "best" cow is the one that goes un noticed the longest. I tend to agree.

BA":3lfapnab said:
I'm as dumb as anyone and am not a fast learner. I've been stung many times, but it has finally sunk in. Don't settle for something that is not just what you want, don't get infatuated with the hype, don't buy if the cows have a better hair cut and/or look like they've had a better life than you, don't buy at the sale "after" the dispersal - the ones that they "couldn't find" and don't flush a cow to soon. Many of those high production cows tend to milk themselves out of a job. I've had better luck with the average cow. Some wise men have stated that the "best" cow is the one that goes un noticed the longest. I tend to agree.

Yep, I agree.

KMacGinley":28l1bqqn said:
A lot of the so called cow men that end up with guys like Randy, are planted there by the big boys who benefit by then selling cows to the pigeon on the "Cow man's" recomendation.

Those would be the can't miss $20,000 "donor" cows that end up selling for $1500 5 years later at the complete dispersion after the guy's wife has had enough of shoveling money down the rat hole. But the family looks so good and happy in their picture in the production sale catalog for a few years anyway. :)

And the "cow man" moves on to the next victim. :)

Ouch this will leave a mark:

http://www.cattlerange.com/006C629-201/006C629-201.html

Running Arrow Bill":1qjuks1j said:
Also, have seen some LH's sell for $100K, $150K and all. There is no way on God's green earth that one would ever recover that cost...even with some embryo flushing...maybe if the cow lived to be 50 years old, calf every year and every calf sold for over $3,000... ;-)

I agree that it's HIGHLY UNLIKELY, but never say never.

Once in a great while that high dollar cow will have a son that sells 2/3 interest for $50,000 to $75,000 and selsl 20,000 units of semen & a bunch of A.I. certificates for a few years in a row. Then embryos and a flush or two are sold. And there's a great story for someone to tell. So, as improbable as it is, it can be done. Which is why so many people will keep trying. It's kinda like playing the lotto...only the entry fee is way higher and the possible reward is way lower.

Latest posts