Sales managers (auctioneers) and more purebred BS

Help Support CattleToday:

WichitaLineMan

Reaction score
Went to a sale on Memorial Day and ran into another classic.

A bad uddered cow about 8 years old came into the ring. This cow's udder was every bit as bad as the one we discussed in another thread that sold at Star Lake. Just horrid.

The cow is not bringing much (but still more than she was worth) (around $1500-$1600). The auctioneer stops and gives a speech. "Buy this cow and take her home and one good flush pays for her". Encouraging the faithful (this is a State purebred sale) that this cow is one that really needs flushed because she is out of "twinkle toes" and sired by "ferdinand".

I know an auctioneer is paid to get the highest price he can for animals but this sort of BS is what gives the purebred business a bad name.

It was Hereford sale and the LAST thing we need is to be flushing bad uddered cattle.

True...but I bet some idiot brought her and probably will try to flush her. Maybe he's the one that doesn't need to be in the association.

I'm sure you are right. It bumped the price up about $600 on her. She ended up at $2200, I think.

Plenty of funny money at this purebred event. Being a total unknown, I stumbled onto a rare gem. I was looking at a few cows and realized that Montie Soules was behind me talking to one of his employees. They were discussing lots and "who they needed to buy from". Nary a word about the cattle, just "who". I was doing an insided my head LMAO/headshake combo.

Sad, sad, sad....

The cures is simple,but boring and the bs'ers would be out of a job.Whats it matter if he thinks he needs to be part of an assoc.I'd rather be the idiot that bought the cow than, the full of **** folks that sold her.

EAT BEEF":1xmpophv said:
The cures is simple,but boring and the bs'ers would be out of a job.Whats it matter if he thinks he needs to be part of an assoc.I'd rather be the idiot that bought the cow than, the full of be nice folks that sold her.

Why?? You just became one of them unless you can wipe your a$$ on $2000 everytime you see an over-hyped cow being sold.

I'd rather be neither,but if you would rather mislead people to make some extra money it tells me alot about you.

The sad thing is that the people selling the cow were probably naive as hell as well. They apparently bought the cow when the cow was younger (or perhaps as a bred or open heifer) from a big name out fit. Not sure if I want to name names yet.

The further I wade into the purebred pool the slimy the water seems.

WichitaLineMan":14qpmz1h said:
The sad thing is that the people selling the cow were probably naive as be nice as well. They apparently bought the cow when the cow was younger (or perhaps as a bred or open heifer) from a big name out fit. Not sure if I want to name names yet.

When you finally dive in, it's the slime that keeps you afloat. :lol:

Who knows who is to blame if anyone,but I'd rather just not play those games anymore.I don't like being took and I sure as he!! don't want to lie to sell some "great" bovine that goes back to one of the "greatest" cows in the breed and is sired but the next "great" son thats going to solve all the problems.

If the cow was right there to inspect in person, the udder wasn't hidden or altered, then nobody is "slimy".

Maybe somebody really needs other, good traits this cow offered, and they have enough udder quality already in their herd, or with the bull they plan to breed her to, to offset this imperfection in the progeny.

The absolutely perfect animal hasn't been bred yet, but as long as you are not mis-informed and things are not being hidden or covered up, nobody is doing anything crooked. Just trying to get as much money for each animal as they can, which is the whole point of having an auction and competitive bidding in the first place.

If it bothers you that much, suggest you try buying private treaty straight off the ranch, when you would have more time to think about it and can probably see more of the producer's animals than at a sale.

Yes, it is a crying shame! How many new breeders have gotten in , usually with a good amount of money to spend, that the promoters etc. have gotten a hold of? In no time, the promoters have either broke their wallet , spirit, or both and they are gone. Had they been taken care of, they may still be in the business, making a lasting impact. We really feel that there should be someone in the associations that sees to it that this type of new breeder is watched over an taken better care of.

As with all things, both sides are probably true. Everything in life is buyer beware. That said, it's too bad buyers have to be so aware. In the recent edition of "Lot One" - the LiveAuctions magazine - they did an interview with Randy Owens of "Alabama" and owner of Tenn River Music Angus Farm. He described his being taken advantage of because he was naive to the nature of things in the purebred world. Probably the best we can do is treat others as we would like to be treated . . . at least that's my goal after getting ripped myself.

rocket2222":1qmt1wg4 said:
WichitaLineMan":1qmt1wg4 said:
The sad thing is that the people selling the cow were probably naive as be nice as well. They apparently bought the cow when the cow was younger (or perhaps as a bred or open heifer) from a big name out fit. Not sure if I want to name names yet.

When you finally dive in, it's the slime that keeps you afloat. :lol:

If you work with cow $hit, don't be disappointed when you smell. If you farm bottom ground, don't be disappointed when you get your feet wet. Today's hero is tomorrow's goat.
If you are in the purebred business, you will get blamed for the problems the cattle develop. Perfection is hard to achieve in this world and if we live long enough, our successes will eventually humble us.

Don't really think the auctioneer is to blame here. He is hired to do a job, and he better or he won't get hired again. Ya that cow should probably be at the packer getting made into a good sandwich, but she wasn't. The seller should have not had her consigned. Do you blame the store manager at Walmart when your new blender or whatever you purchased doesn't last that long because it was junk. No, but I bet blame the store. We need to step back and take a look at what you are buying and who is to really blame.

angus9259":3mhfszj9 said:
As with all things, both sides are probably true. Everything in life is buyer beware. That said, it's too bad buyers have to be so aware. In the recent edition of "Lot One" - the LiveAuctions magazine - they did an interview with Randy Owens of "Alabama" and owner of Tenn River Music Angus Farm. He described his being taken advantage of because he was naive to the nature of things in the purebred world. Probably the best we can do is treat others as we would like to be treated . . . at least that's my goal after getting ripped myself.
randys got the money to make mistakes.and a herd man to correct em.. this guy that bought the bad uddered cow, probably left his cowman back at the ranch. bet he shaking his head right about now :cowboy:

A lot of the so called cow men that end up with guys like Randy, are planted there by the big boys who benefit by then selling cows to the pigeon on the "Cow man's" recomendation.

Those would be the can't miss $20,000 "donor" cows that end up selling for $1500 5 years later at the complete dispersion after the guy's wife has had enough of shoveling money down the rat hole. But the family looks so good and happy in their picture in the production sale catalog for a few years anyway. :)

And the "cow man" moves on to the next victim. :)

KMacGinley":qrrwwts7 said:
A lot of the so called cow men that end up with guys like Randy, are planted there by the big boys who benefit by then selling cows to the pigeon on the "Cow man's" recomendation.

Those would be the can't miss $20,000 "donor" cows that end up selling for $1500 5 years later at the complete dispersion after the guy's wife has had enough of shoveling money down the rat hole. But the family looks so good and happy in their picture in the production sale catalog for a few years anyway. :)

And the "cow man" moves on to the next victim. :)
i fit the so called cowman too the T,, now to find someone that knows less than me.... looks like i gotta task ahead of me :cowboy:

Think about it,,, it is not a bad gig, you can tell those guys anything and they will believe it. They may know medicine, or law or music or constuction but they don't know cows and if you take them to guys who will give you a cut if they buy their stock from them, you can't lose. Of course your boss can't win. :)

Latest posts