saler cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

kwh":12mmhqbs said:
What do you guys think about the saler breed?

Check with your cattle buyers .. before making a switch..Salers are openly discounted here as they have a reputation as being hard to finish.

My dad runs a set of black cows and saler bulls on them. He gets along good. Top pay weights and top dollars.

I've never owned any Saler cattle but most, if not all the folks I know who have used them don't anymore. The biggest complaint I've heard about the breed is that the cattle have some disposition issues.

It seems that the poplularity of the Saler breed has decreased relative to other Continental breeds (i.e. Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh) over the past ten years. This may be an indication that the other breeds are working better for many commercial producers. However, every producers situation & environment is different so Salers may work for you.

UG":1f7qjjc1 said:
I've never owned any Saler cattle but most, if not all the folks I know who have used them don't anymore. The biggest complaint I've heard about the breed is that the cattle have some disposition issues.

It seems that the poplularity of the Saler breed has decreased relative to other Continental breeds (i.e. Simmental, Limousin, Gelbvieh) over the past ten years. This may be an indication that the other breeds are working better for many commercial producers. However, every producers situation & environment is different so Salers may work for you.
Very well put. Dun posted a MARC report on the Breeds Board "Characteristics of Breeds". It was on crossbreeding with the top 7 bos taurus breeds with the largest number of registrations:
3 British breeds: Angus, Hereford, Red Angus
4 Continental breeds: Charolais, Gelbvieh, Limousin, Simmental.

frenchie":1j37ta9b said:
kwh":1j37ta9b said:

Check with your cattle buyers .. before making a switch..Salers are openly discounted here as they have a reputation as being hard to finish.

I once saw a buyer back out of a contract for over 2000 head of calves when he found out that some of the mother cows were part Saler.......

UG":3kogozip said:

Thats a lot of what I have seen, they have a bad disposition.

Oldtimer said:
frenchie said:
kwh said:

I once saw a buyer back out of a contract for over 2000 head of calves when he found out that some of the mother cows were part Saler.......

Oldtimer, what was the reason that the buyer didn't want Saler influence in the calves he bought?

UG":2juvol23 said:
Oldtimer":2juvol23 said:
frenchie":2juvol23 said:
kwh":2juvol23 said:

Oldtimer, what was the reason that the buyer didn't want Saler influence in the calves he bought?

UG- The buyer indicated that the Saler influence made them too nervous and flighty and they would not gain in the feedlot like he wanted...Almost everyone in my area that had tried Salers back in the 80's have gone away from them pretty much for the same reason........Most that want to keep a Continental influence have went back to Charolais, Simmental, or Gelbvieh......

What about Saler crossed with Brahman? "Bralers"? Any body know anything about them? Does the Brahman influence negate any disposition issues?

We are desperatly searaching for a scramble heifer for by 14 year old daughter. She has shown Dairy for 4 years so this is all new to us.

So far we have looked at Brahman, Simbrah and Beefmaster. We need something low-maintenance because she will still show Dairy too. She got her certificate at Houston and you can't get a Dairy Heifer with your certificate there.

The Salers breed is very high milking, the milk is
rich, and produces high grading cuts. Yes, they do
take longer to grow ONLY WITH SOME LINES!!! We have
had some out grow our simmie angus steers. They also
have great mothering ability, some temperment, but not
lots (there are always a few nuts in every breed).

If you live around the Houston area we have some young Simbrah females that you would not have to spend a lot time with as when you would get them and then show at Houston they would only be about a year of age. Also, you would not have to add any money to the certicicate. I would sell them for the face value of your certicicate.

Matt Schiel
Bar M Ranch

We looked at some beautiful Brahmans yesterday afternoon near Terrell. Pricey but looked like the top of the line compared to others we have looked at.