Sale barn ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford will get docked .30 to .40 a pound here others even worse.
It doesn't matter the quality of the animal.
Don't know about your state but here the scales have to be certified.
That is the exact reason there is black bull in the pasture.
If you want premium price it better be black or yellow with a white face.

Cool off my first question would be about the scales and your
state should have a Dept of Weights and Measure to report discrepancies.
I would think the fellow you bought them from never calibrated them, here private scales
don't have to be.
My second question is why did they list them as one head.

Ok did they have a feeder calf grade as a #1,#2, or #3 or not?
Still wondering what sale it was at?

Ojp6":35456iv0 said:
They were sold as:
Slaughter Bulls Y.G. 1-2

I don't understand how they were sold as slaughter Bulls weighing 710. That market report doesn't make any sense to me. They should have been sold as feeder calves and graded as such.

tncattle":2pcdr36t said:
Ojp6":2pcdr36t said:
They were sold as:
Slaughter Bulls Y.G. 1-2
I haven't decided if I want to disclose what sale barn it is yet. I'm not trying to hurt someone's reputation just want to be treated fair, that's all.

Ojp6":6r763vdd said:
I don't understand how they were sold as slaughter Bulls weighing 710. That market report doesn't make any sense to me. They should have been sold as feeder calves and graded as such.
That's what has me mad. They weren't slaughter bulls but were listed as 1 head at 1420 lbs. Are you a buyer?

I do buy cattle at a quite a few sales and have actually bought at a bunch in Tennessee which is the reason I asked which one. Went to Dickson today actually. Yeah I think they were just listed incorrectly on the report it seems like to me.

Ojp6 said:
I do buy cattle at a quite a few sales and have actually bought at a bunch in Tennessee which is the reason I asked which one. Went to Dickson today actually. Yeah I think they were just listed incorrectly on the report it seems like to me.[/quote
PM sent

I think I know which sale you went to. It does seem odd they were grouped together. If it is the sale I am thinking about, Herefords don't do well there. If I am looking at the right market report I don't see the 1420 one you are talking about, so maybe it was a different sale.

Seeing BS like this makes me really appreciate my sale barn in Eldorado kansas. No way they would ever sale two animals together weighing that. No excuse for that other than stupidity.

piedmontese":23h6hvq3 said:
Seeing BS like this makes me really appreciate my sale barn in Eldorado kansas. No way they would ever sale two animals together weighing that. No excuse for that other than stupidity.

Yeah glad my local barns are pretty honest and will work to make it right if a mistake happens. Something smells fishy with this. Don't know how to tell you to fix it you would have had to be there when it happened. If you have other sale barns close by use them.

tncattle":271vff6i said:
Ok, I could be wrong or not fully understand but I feel as though I wasn't treated fairly at the sale barn:

I took 3 Hereford Bulls last Thursday and here's how they did.

1st bull was 8 yrs old and weighed 1935 lbs. He brought $1.30 (fair price)
2nd and 3rd bull combined avg. weight 710 lb as they put them together. One was close to 800 and one closer to 600. In the sale barn report they were listed as 1 head at 1420 lbs. and sold for $1.50 it was listed as high dressing.

Here's my beef (haha). The lowest bull price at 731 lbs. Was $1.81 and multiple people saw me unload these bull calves and commented on how nice they were. They seriously were quality calves and in good condition. Did the sale barn do me wrong? Should they have sold them individually? Is it normal practice to do this and count 2 head as 1? I'm small time and another $300-$500 is a big deal to me. Thanks
Yeah ,that's no good.

denvermartinfarms":34a5galv said:
TennesseeTuxedo":34a5galv said:
denvermartinfarms":34a5galv said:

What did you say that you felt you had to delete Denver?
I was asking a question to ojp6 that I intended to be a PM and I accedently posted it here instead.

Gotcha.

Sorry to be nosy but I know that you have a great deal of experience with the sale barns all across the mid south so I was just curious as to what your input might have been. Sounds like the OP got a raw deal but I also know that in northern KY Herefords take a huge hit at the sale. I learned that the hard way.

Yes, it was already mentioned, but feather necked Herefords, especially bulls are not anything you want to take to a Salebarn in the east or southeast. Unfortunately anything that's not black no matter the quality takes to big of a hit in those areas also.

denvermartinfarms":vy6che99 said:
Yes, it was already mentioned, but feather necked Herefords, especially bulls are not anything you want to take to a Salebarn in the east or southeast. Unfortunately anything that's not black no matter the quality takes to big of a hit in those areas also.

Glad I don't live there

Do they have their sale days videoed? About two years ago, I dropped off some fine steers at our local sale barn and headed to a meeting. At the end of the day, I discovered a buyer said "blind" when one of my steers walked into the ring. The price was only about a third of the others at that point. I called the owner, and said he would check the video.....and came back and said my calf trotted into the sale ring and began looking around. He said he would have a conversation with the buyer, as well as the auctioneer about my case, but would make it right by giving me the average for that weight/quality group. I took that, and never dropped off cattle again without staying. I felt the owner did me as right as he could in remedying the "conflict".....

wacocowboy":yi6ebjlz said:
denvermartinfarms":yi6ebjlz said:

Glad I don't live there
Yes, it's to bad for the folks there with good quality off colored cattle. Here where I am a good calf will do good, there black is the only way to go.

Latest posts