Sale barn ?

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":y02jkwro said:
wacocowboy":y02jkwro said:
denvermartinfarms":y02jkwro said:
Yes, it was already mentioned, but feather necked Herefords, especially bulls are not anything you want to take to a Salebarn in the east or southeast. Unfortunately anything that's not black no matter the quality takes to big of a hit in those areas also.

Glad I don't live there
Yes, it's to bad for the folks there with good quality off colored cattle. Here where I am a good calf will do good, there black is the only way to go.

Our baldies do terrific but the Herefords get hit. Makes no sense.

I think I mentioned this somewhere else but I'll say it here too. At the sales I've been at in Tennessee you can sell off colored cattle if you go all in and put together 20 or so that match good. If you sell a couple colored calves they will hurt you pretty bad. I've seen a set of really good Hereford steers come through the sale the OP is talking about that weighed 7 that where only 2 dollars back of the top blacks but they sold in a group of 40.

Caustic Burno":1omp111n said:
TT that is the exact reason an Angus bull is standing in the pasture with braford and Hereford girls.

I agree. We run an Angus bull over a group of Hereford cows and a Hereford bull over another group of Angus cows to get our baldies CB, The mistake I made the first year was letting the 12 month bull we had just purchased hang out with a group of 14 Hereford mommas and heifers and danged if the rascal didn't breed most of them. I thought the calves looked terrific but the buyers had a different take on them.

They pay top dollar for the baldies though which is nice.

TennesseeTuxedo":32mszy3c said:
Caustic Burno":32mszy3c said:
TT that is the exact reason an Angus bull is standing in the pasture with braford and Hereford girls.

I agree. We run an Angus bull over a group of Hereford cows and a Hereford bull over another group of Angus cows to get our baldies CB, The mistake I made the first year was letting the 12 month bull we had just purchased hang out with a group of 14 Hereford mommas and heifers and danged if the rascal didn't breed most of them. I thought the calves looked terrific but the buyers had a different take on them.

They pay top dollar for the baldies though which is nice.

If it has a white face here they will fight over it if it is black or yellow.
This gets back to genome mapping of purebred versus hybred that will grade on feed to
get the pounds they want in X days.

Caustic Burno":39s4vmru said:

Smart money.

Caustic Burno":2jrsiccg said:
Didn't you meant a black hided bull?

I don't like to sell anything at a sale barn if I can avoid it. I think that there are some insider shenanigans going on in many cases. A person selling cattle may be at that sale once or twice every seven or eight months. The order buyers are there every week. Who do you think he's going to cater to? I like to tell a man what I want for my cattle and shake his hand and close the deal. I spoke to the Angus rep in Texas and he told me to bring photos of my cattle, Angus source documents, and explain to the sale barn manager what I'm bringing up before I bring them. So I'll try that next time. I don't like sale barn surprises.

Rcole1310":3t51yw0t said:
I don't like to sell anything at a sale barn if I can avoid it. I think that there are some insider shenanigans going on in many cases. A person selling cattle may be at that sale once or twice every seven or eight months. The order buyers are there every week. Who do you think he's going to cater to? I like to tell a man what I want for my cattle and shake his hand and close the deal. I spoke to the Angus rep in Texas and he told me to bring photos of my cattle, Angus source documents, and explain to the sale barn manager what I'm bringing up before I bring them. So I'll try that next time. I don't like sale barn surprises.

The salebarn is not an evil place of conspiracies.
It is true capitalism in its most basic form .
If you have a quality product that the buyers want be it feedlot or back to the farm there
will be competition for your product.
Going to the barn with papered cattle you are going to get your feelings hurt,
they don't grind paper in with the hamburger and they mean nothing to commercial cattleman
like myself. Angus cows will never beat a Brangus, Braford or F-1 Tiger through the barn in Texas.
I wouldn't even bid on them as neither would most of the back to the farm buyers.
We are looking for a crossbred cow to put a terminal bull on to make a 3 way cross that mashes the scales.
Now you unload a trailer load of F-1 Tiger heifers and you wont be able to close your billfold.
If you don't believe me GB will tell you the same thing. About three weeks ago somebody dropped off
a load of red Angus cows they went to hamburger. I sat and watched not one back to the farm bid.

Can someone explain to me how if no one wants to give top dollar for a animal how its the barns fault ? I can see how something dishonest can happen behind the scenes, but once the animals in the ring your going to get what it's worth. Seriously how can you be cheated? Maybe I've been missing something it wouldn't be the first time. The barns around here sell choice all the time usually when the guys in the back make a sorting mistake I wouldn't think that would hurt you price wise. If I am not going to watch my cattle sell I make sure they sell at the beginning when there's plenty of buyers.

At this barn on feeders it is all in how they grade them. I have had them put some of my calves with some junky calves and hurt me on price. On the other hand he has put say a 605# calf in the five weight pen which brings better. On feeders everything is co-mingled at this barn if it grades, if you have one get singled out it really hurts the price. Herefords do not sell good there, need to go a little more east and they do better.

Caustic Burno":2wgkeuid said:
Rcole1310":2wgkeuid said:

The salebarn is not an evil place of conspiracies.
It is true capitalism in its most basic form .
If you have a quality product that the buyers want be it feedlot or back to the farm there
will be competition for your product.
Going to the barn with papered cattle you are going to get your feelings hurt,
they don't grind paper in with the hamburger and they mean nothing to commercial cattleman
like myself. Angus cows will never beat a Brangus, Braford or F-1 Tiger through the barn in Texas.
I wouldn't even bid on them as neither would most of the back to the farm buyers.
We are looking for a crossbred cow to put a terminal bull on to make a 3 way cross that mashes the scales.
Now you unload a trailer load of F-1 Tiger heifers and you wont be able to close your billfold.
If you don't believe me GB will tell you the same thing. About three weeks ago somebody dropped off
a load of red Angus cows they went to hamburger. I sat and watched not one back to the farm bid.

CB I'm confused here I thought you said Angus sells the best in your area because black is the best colored hide that has ever been created? Next to the black baldy which also has black hide. And now your saying you won't even bid on one? A little black cow will raise a heck of a calf. We have a few on our place that raised 550+ pound calves last year out of that POS black Angus bull I posted a picture of on the bull thread. Why are you so against black cows? I know your a Braford guy and like your black baldies but just wanting your explanation on this.

Never said an Angus cow was worth having here I said a black baldie, black or yellow baldie calf sell the best.
You will find almost any kind of Black bull in the pastures Angus Brangus and Char bulls rule. The commercial guy here is going to have Brangus, Braford or Beefmaster type cows in his pasture. No one wants purbred cattle here unless it Brahman influence.
Any cowman worth a piece of Siberian sheep shyt is not going to put something his pasture
to reduce weaning weights 10%. Simple science that is what you do when you go to a 2 way cross
or remove the Brahman influence.

Caustic Burno":3seki6jd said:
Never said an Angus cow was worth having here I said a black baldie, black or yellow baldie calf sell the best.
You will find almost any kind of Black bull in the pastures Angus Brangus and Char bulls rule. The commercial guy here is going to have Brangus, Braford or Beefmaster type cows in his pasture. No one wants purbred cattle here unless it Brahman influence.
Any cowman worth a piece of Siberian sheep shyt is not going to put something his pasture
to reduce weaning weights 10%. Simple science that is what you do when you go to a 2 way cross

Angus rule here. Some herds that used to crossbred with Hereford and/or other breeds are increasingly going 100% black. Both the guy I rent to and the guy who bought my home place run 100% Angus cows. First guy used to crossbreed with Charolais. 2nd guy used to crossbreed with Limousin. Now they both breed black on black.

IMO, baldies bred to a terminal continental bull are pretty tough to beat for maximum hybrid vigor and the best of all worlds. The thing is, you or someone else still has to have an Angus or Hereford foundation herd and cross the breeds to get the baldy product :idea:

Brahma or Brahman influenced cattle are as rare as unicorns here :oops:

John SD":gn9ismi7 said:

same situation here, been trying to find a needle in the haystack.

John SD":2j56trxi said:
Caustic Burno":2j56trxi said:

Angus rule here. Some herds that used to crossbred with Hereford and/or other breeds are increasingly going 100% black. Both the guy I rent to and the guy who bought my home place run 100% Angus cows. First guy used to crossbreed with Charolais. 2nd guy used to crossbreed with Limousin. Now they both breed black on black.

IMO, baldies bred to a terminal continental bull are pretty tough to beat for maximum hybrid vigor and the best of all worlds. The thing is, you or someone else still has to have an Angus or Hereford foundation herd and cross the breeds to get the baldy product :idea:

Brimmers don't fit everywhere that is why a man has to find the best three way cross for his environment.
Brahman influence cattle make up 30% of the US cow herd located, you guessed it in the south.
Now for a fellow starting out hard to beat a Hereford cow they sell cheaper and produce a calf that will grade.
Come back with a Brangus bull and laugh all the way to the bank.
You can get good vigor out of a lot of crosses you just get more when there is Brammer in the woodpile.
That is just science.