Sale barn ?

Help Support CattleToday:

bball":3nnfdz1d said:
John SD":3nnfdz1d said:
Brahma or Brahman influenced cattle are as rare as unicorns here :oops:

same situation here, been trying to find a needle in the haystack.
Pretty normal. Look where you're located. Move down here and you have a totally different clientele looking for totally different cattle. That's why you raise what sells best in "your" market even if you don't like them. :lol2:

TexasBred":1uqf4osq said:
bball":1uqf4osq said:
John SD":1uqf4osq said:

Pretty normal. Look where you're located. Move down here and you have a totally different clientele looking for totally different cattle. That's why you raise what sells best in "your" market even if you don't like them. :lol2:

If I wouldn't get hammered to death I would have a pasture of Brahman girls and
a Hereford bull.
The heifers are worth their weight in gold, can't hardly give the steers away.

Rcole1310":7y8r2nm8 said:
I don't like to sell anything at a sale barn if I can avoid it. I think that there are some insider shenanigans going on in many cases. A person selling cattle may be at that sale once or twice every seven or eight months. The order buyers are there every week. Who do you think he's going to cater to? I like to tell a man what I want for my cattle and shake his hand and close the deal. I spoke to the Angus rep in Texas and he told me to bring photos of my cattle, Angus source documents, and explain to the sale barn manager what I'm bringing up before I bring them. So I'll try that next time. I don't like sale barn surprises.

All the barns in my area of the world charge the seller of the cattle a commission charge and yardage to make there income. Some is per head some are a fixed % of the selling price. If the ''buyers'' were allowed to force the price below mkt. price how could this not harm the sale barn? :???:

Rcole1310":2rjovtmw said:
I don't like to sell anything at a sale barn if I can avoid it. I think that there are some insider shenanigans going on in many cases. A person selling cattle may be at that sale once or twice every seven or eight months. The order buyers are there every week. Who do you think he's going to cater to? I like to tell a man what I want for my cattle and shake his hand and close the deal. I spoke to the Angus rep in Texas and he told me to bring photos of my cattle, Angus source documents, and explain to the sale barn manager what I'm bringing up before I bring them. So I'll try that next time. I don't like sale barn surprises.
In that case you better stay on top of the market and the value of your individual cows or you'll lose your shirt. There are more folks out here roaming the backroads buying cattle from individuals who have no idea what they're worth than you'll ever find at a sale barn. At least at the barn you can PO the cattle if they don't bring what you want (assuming you know what they're worth). Heck I don't feel guilty bidding on my own cattle if I think the bidding is not moving along as it should. Worst case scenario I buy the cow and take her back home.

denvermartinfarms":2vybj524 said:
Red Bull Breeder":2vybj524 said:
Owners of the sale barns here also buy cattle. Buyers have to bid to buy else they leave empty handed.
Yep.

I seen a ton of fine cattle go through our barns in 2012 we had come out of the drought in
East Texas and they were trucking them in from Mo. and Ark. The slaughter prices were better here
very few went to farm way to much hair on the majority that came down.
Thank goodness for slaughter buyers and the prices we had in this drought.
As ugly as it was it could have been a lot uglier. When got hit in 99-2000 a 1200 pound cow
you were lucky if you cleared 300 bucks.

TexasBred":2ss3jz1j said:
bball":2ss3jz1j said:
John SD":2ss3jz1j said:

I never should have left TX. :frowns:

TexasBred":2cz7s5b0 said:
Heck I don't feel guilty bidding on my own cattle if I think the bidding is not moving along as it should. Worst case scenario I buy the cow and take her back home.

Is this a commonly accepted practice at a livestock auction?

SJB":2jqsc55u said:
TexasBred":2jqsc55u said:
Heck I don't feel guilty bidding on my own cattle if I think the bidding is not moving along as it should. Worst case scenario I buy the cow and take her back home.

Maybe not common, but certainly acceptable.

SJB":1l23w0c6 said:
TexasBred":1l23w0c6 said:

Go to Kingsport Stock Yard next Saturday and see how many prople you see bidding on their calves and cows. I will bet it happens and you will never know it.

SJB":1dmeqold said:
TexasBred":1dmeqold said:

Been watching it happen for 40 years. Not unusual nor a new concept.

SJB":3b7yrhlt said:
TexasBred":3b7yrhlt said:

Yes it is.

denvermartinfarms":3qcldczv said:
SJB":3qcldczv said:
TexasBred":3qcldczv said:

Yes it is.

When you say, "I buy the cow and and take her back home". Do you mean you pay the sale barn to get the cow back?

Caustic Burno":13jf75bo said:
No but you still have to pay the commission and fees.
That varys from one barn to the next and depends on how well you know the owners and how much business you do there. It's not something I do every week, but when I do it I've never paid commision or any of the fee's.

I have nothing against it, but for the average cow calf person I don't see a need for it unless you truly are getting done wrong by a barn. 99% of the time, like it or not you are getting exactly what your cattle are worth that day. The need for bidding on your own and buying back is more of something a trader like myself has to do when I would be better off taking something back home and feeding it a while longer than to take what I might be getting.

denvermartinfarms":172p0lq3 said:
Caustic Burno":172p0lq3 said:
That varys from one barn to the next and depends on how well you know the owners and how much business you do there. It's not something I do every week, but when I do it I've never paid commision or any of the fee's.

I have nothing against it, but for the average cow calf person I don't see a need for it unless you truly are getting done wrong by a barn. 99% of the time, like it or not you are getting exactly what your cattle are worth that day. The need for bidding on your own and buying back is more of something a trader like myself has to do when I would be better off taking something back home and feeding it a while longer than to take what I might be getting.

The barn's here you are going to pay the check off fees and the auctioneers commission for the highest bid
no matter who you are. I don't know how it works there the auctioneer gets small percent on each animal
through the ring . That is how he gets paid. I know the auctioneer really well he is my grand daughters Sunday school teacher.

denvermartinfarms":27xm2zua said:
Caustic Burno":27xm2zua said:

You can always just wait until it sells and then shout at the auctioneer and tell him to PO that cow/calf or whatever it was...go to the back and load it up and go home.

Latest posts