Sale barn weight discrepancy

Help Support CattleToday:

blacksnake

Reaction score
I recently took two older cull cows to the sale barn. I ran them across my scales. One weighed 1565 and the other one weighed 1270. I dropped them off and left. When I got my check in the mail, they had one at 1210 and one at 1250. I called and asked about it and basically was blown off. I think the 1210 was the one that weighed 1270 on my scale. That would be about a 4-5% shrink. No way did the 1565 cow lose down to 1250. Not sure what happened. Hopefully it was just an honest mistake. Not that much money lost, only about $150 but I would just like to be able to trust them in the future.

has your scales been calabrated an set as legal scales.im thinking the sale barns scales need calabrated by the state.you need to go in an personally talk to the salebarn about the short weights.i think id find me a new sale barn.do they know you have a set of scales.

I have often wonder about some weights as well. I usually blew it off becaused i assumed it would be in the sale barn's interest to be accurate as some of their revenue is a commission and the higher the weight the higher their commission or am i missing something.

by the scales weighing cattle real light they are helping the big buyers of weigh cows steers an heifers.thus cheating the sellers.

I know my scales are fairly accurate. I calibrate them myself, not legally binding. I just use them for my own use. I guarantee anyone that looked at the two cows side by side would say there was a significant weight difference. I had also weighed her in the past and got about the same weight. I guess I may be too trusting but I am still assuming it was just an honest mistake. Seems like a lot of people make misteaks, just not mee.

Latest posts