sale barn trip 5-22-13

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I went to the local sale barn yesterday was a bred cow sale and let me tell you I was HIGHLY disappointed. Has anyone ever went to a sale and saw the cattle there and went home and said im really proud of my stock ? I did that yesterday they had some horrible looking old cows whos bags look twisted and they were boney as all get out. I wasted 2 hours of my time there this next wednesday they are supposed to be having a heifer calf sale and I want to try to pick up a few red angus if they have some hopefully they will be in better shape.

skyhightree1":1jol6exx said:
I went to the local sale barn yesterday was a bred cow sale and let me tell you I was HIGHLY disappointed. Has anyone ever went to a sale and saw the cattle there and went home and said im really proud of my stock ? I did that yesterday they had some horrible looking old cows whos bags look twisted and they were boney as all get out. I wasted 2 hours of my time there this next wednesday they are supposed to be having a heifer calf sale and I want to try to pick up a few red angus if they have some hopefully they will be in better shape.

I go almost every week and haul for someone most of the time.
The secret of the salebarn is patience and be willing to pull an empty trailer home.
You have to be there with the money when that opportunity cow comes through.
It is a crap shoot I have seen ton's of good girl's go through one Sat and the next nothing I would even bid on.
Another secret is never pay more than kill price for the cow unless it is a legit replacement sale.

Good advice see I don't go every week I may go once a month if that but this was the worst looking cows I have ever seen there I have no clue where they came from but they were ugly. You definately have to be willing to pull an empty trailer home sometimes. I really only am looking for 2 red angus heifers and some bull calves to put in my calf pen but I see now every wednesday at 2pm I need to be at sale barn and walk through the allies and see if i can find what im looking for.

skyhightree1":1k9ehbbj said:
they will be,, just hope they aint the daughters of the first sale :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":2zgo9pj4 said:
skyhightree1":2zgo9pj4 said:

ALA way to kill my high there buddy :lol: That would be pretty messed up and by the time I found out it would be too late.

skyhightree1":v09ad1jm said:
ALACOWMAN":v09ad1jm said:
skyhightree1":v09ad1jm said:

ALA way to kill my high there buddy :lol: That would be pretty messed up and by the time I found out it would be too late.
those heifers look great when fat a slick... look em over good, look at those teats .. around the size of your little finger

I will do that. I have very lil experience with buying from sale barns I normally try to find the farmer bringing them in and have a direct dealing with them. We have very few farms around here that have red angus and even fewer that sell Hereford and those are what I would like to get some of and the only place is the sale barn. The best cow-calf pair sale they have where I bought some of my cows came from the state department of correction farms. I bought 7 cow calf pair there and they make the stock yard clean and bleach everything for that sale and pregnancy test each cow and guarantee they are bred. Great sale.

with the shortage of cattle we have in this country right now people will pass off junk as replacement cows.you just have sitt back wait an bid smart or youll over pay for the good cattle.

Skyhigh, what was the price of them ugly thin cows. I have made a buck or two off of thin ugly cows. I there mouths are good most of the time a good worming or 2 and some food will fix them up.

skyhightree1":3nyxpi8w said:
Good advice see I don't go every week I may go once a month if that but this was the worst looking cows I have ever seen there I have no clue where they came from but they were ugly. You definately have to be willing to pull an empty trailer home sometimes. I really only am looking for 2 red angus heifers and some bull calves to put in my calf pen but I see now every wednesday at 2pm I need to be at sale barn and walk through the allies and see if i can find what im looking for.

I would have withdrawl if I didnt go for a month. Have not missed a week in almost a year but have to miss the first week of June this year. Skyhightree1, since I will be within 10 miles or so from Blackstone maybe I will sneak in there. If I buy a load can you keep them till my trailer gets there? :lol2:

Seriously, I have bought several cows this spring from the local sale. Some weeks as many as 5 cow/calf pairs, most weeks 1 or 2 pair. As CB says you just have to be there when they come. I work the sale so I am always there.

kenny thomas":2v0ks8p8 said:
skyhightree1":2v0ks8p8 said:

I would have withdrawl if I didnt go for a month. Have not missed a week in almost a year but have to miss the first week of June this year. Skyhightree1, since I will be within 10 miles or so from Blackstone maybe I will sneak in there. If I buy a load can you keep them till my trailer gets there? :lol2:

LOL anything for you kenny. I know youre gonna be up here pretty soon you should come stop in there and check it out maybe I will meet you there or something.

kenny thomas":3sjjam56 said:
Seriously, I have bought several cows this spring from the local sale. Some weeks as many as 5 cow/calf pairs, most weeks 1 or 2 pair. As CB says you just have to be there when they come. I work the sale so I am always there.

LOL no wonder you will have withdrawl you work there ... I am going again this wednesday its supposed to be a good sale we shall see. Have you been to blackstone Kenny

I have been to Blackstone but it has been over 20 years. I have passed by several times while the sale was going on but didnt have time to stop. Being on the job didnt help either.
I will be at the state forest on the east side of Twin Lakes State Park that day. Isn't that only 10 miles or so from Blackstone?

twin lakes is in green bay if im not mistaken you are looking at between 15-25 miles maybe I dont know the parks address but I know where it is but I could be wrong. Blackstone yard is ok its hot as HADIES in there with those weak fans blowing

umm 360 runs ony east to west
Twin Lakes State Park
Burkeville, VA 23922
(434) 392-3435

1. Head northeast on Co Rd 707 toward Co Rd 697
420 ft
2. Continue onto Co Rd 697
0.5 mi
3. Turn right onto Co Rd 621
1.0 mi
4. Turn left onto US-360 E/Patrick Henry Hwy
4.4 mi