Sale Barn Results

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus

Reaction score
Hauled out the calves to the sale barn today. I was super happy about the paycheck.

8 steers averaged 668lbs and brought for $238.00
5 steers averaged 513lbs and brought for $282.50
1 August bull calf weighted 295lbs and brought for $350.00
7 heifers averaged 572lbs and brought for $235.00
4 heifers averaged 672lbs and brought for $227.50
1 June heifer weighted 480lbs and brought $200.00

That June heifer was kinda blocky looking and shorter.

I was surprised to see the neighbor's wild calf ran in the ring. She weights 380lbs and brought for $180 because she was half dairy.

400-700lbs feeder steers bring most money at the sale today. Mostly blacks, reds, Charolais x and baldies (black and red) brings more money. I was surprised to see straight Hereford steers were bring same price as black steer. There was a nice yellow skunk steer fetched $1550 but forget his weight and cwt but the black skunk steer does not doing very well. Few British white calves and straight spotted shorthorn feeders were doing poorly in the ring. Few blue roans also doesn't do very well. Shorthorns and their crosses never ever hits over $1,100 even if they are 500-600lbs. That's $300-500 less than what the typical feeder steer usually brings.

Taurus":2jf1ftyy said:
I was surprised to see straight Hereford steers were bring same price as black steer.

You mean to say that same disease (high dollar Red-n-White disease) is getting into your neck of the woods now too?

Looks like you did great! Congratulations!
I was on the other end of the deal today, the buying end. I purchased 6 two year old solid black, 5+ months bred heifers weighing 1,000 each. I paid $1,700 each for them. Gosh that's a lot, more than I have ever paid before for bred heifers. I just hope the ride lasts for a long time. Pairs were crazy, decent flesh aged cows with young calves were hitting $2,450. Several nice clean pairs went for $2,800. I love it!

Aaron":16nsyr7u said:
Taurus":16nsyr7u said:
I was surprised to see straight Hereford steers were bring same price as black steer.

You mean to say that same disease (high dollar Red-n-White disease) is getting into your neck of the woods now too?
Only if they looks good! There was few pitiful looking calves (both black and Hereford) ran thru the ring (200-300lbs) and doesn't fetch that much $$.

Don't know why they docked shorthorn & SH cross calves w chromo that bad where the other colored calves (included skunks and belted) do well at the sale barn. At first I thought they docked these shorthorn calves because they were horned but the next group was polled shorthorn calves that brought same price as the horned shorthorn calves. This is same sale barn I sold my few roan shorthorn cows few years ago and got less $$ for them.

If you can make a potload up, you can make good money buying small lots of Shorthorn-Roan calves and selling them the next fall as a big bunch of yearlings. I would do it in a heartbeat if I could source enough Shorthorn calves locally.

Aaron":1i6fts5k said:
If you can make a potload up, you can make good money buying small lots of Shorthorn-Roan calves and selling them the next fall as a big bunch of yearlings. I would do it in a heartbeat if I could source enough Shorthorn calves locally.
I know another local sale barn where I took culls and problematic cows there. Chromo cattle does well at there. Horned ones too. But I will never drop off any chromo shorthorns at the sale barn where I sells the feeder calves at.

Latest posts