Sale barn fire.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ojp6

Reaction score
Bluegrass Stockyards of Lexington KY is on fire. Its about the biggest sale barn in the state and sells a pile of cattle.

Very sad. I have a lot of respect for Bluegrass, God bless.
CSM

Six businesses destroyed, flames leaping 70 ft in the air, 20 dead cattle 7500 customers out of power due to transformer exploding

They said rubber Roofing that has to be heated??? I could have only been torch down modified to set building on fire. It's not uncommon for a building to be set on fire with torch down. It uses a propane torch and at it melts the asphalt on the rolls.

Not being from that area, I get confused. I sent some calves to bluegrass south this week. Is that a different yard?

I hate to hear that. They had one at Navasota a few years ago that started in the attached restaurant. They remodeled after the fire and now the restaurant is in a separate building.

Bluegrass south is the second biggest bluegrass barn if I remember right. I've gotten cows out of both Stanford and Lexington but only been to Stanford myself. Bluegrass owns seven or eight barns in KY I think.

TennesseeTuxedo":myt856l2 said:
This will have long lasting after effects. They move a lot of cattle on Monday and Tuesday that will have to be sold elsewhere.

My heart goes out to all the folks affected.
I was within an hour and a half of there most of today but had not heard it. in good weather that may mean as many as 5000 head a week to go somewhere else. They also used it to reload, sort and feed calves some of the other company's bought down my way before they go west. Unless it has changed it sells more calves weekly than any other place east of the Miss river.

Mt Sterling, another bluegrass sale about 30 miles east of Lexington, is going to sell Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for now. The used to sell Wednesday and Saturday I think. I'm sure Paris will get some as they are about the closest barn to Lexington but they aren't owned by Bluegrass. Another Blugrass sale in Richmond is probably less than 30 miles south of Lexington as well. A lot of cattle and a lot of barns in that area

Ojp6":2mei2kb9 said:
Mt Sterling, another bluegrass sale about 30 miles east of Lexington, is going to sell Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday for now. The used to sell Wednesday and Saturday I think. I'm sure Paris will get some as they are about the closest barn to Lexington but they aren't owned by Bluegrass. Another Blugrass sale in Richmond is probably less than 30 miles south of Lexington as well. A lot of cattle and a lot of barns in that area
They got one in Stanford also, lots of cattle that way also.

Yes sir. I've been to their sales in Richmond, Stanford, Albany and Cambellsville. They probably sell over half of the cattle sold total in the state.

TennesseeTuxedo":12al7x1d said:
We sell ours at the Owenton sale barn Ojp6, ever been there?

No, I don't usually go that far east. I went to a couple special cow sales over at those bluegrass sales but I stay on the western half of KY or in TN for most of the sales I go to.

Latest posts