Sale barn cows

Help Support CattleToday:

circlew

Reaction score
How many of yall take the tags off the cows you've bought at the sale barn? We leave ours on them till they fall off. Makes it easier to identify them if they get out and onto a neighbors place.

I was just wondering. There is a guy around the house that is a trader and anytime he buys they go in the chute and are vacd, wormed, and tags removed. He said if someone came up and wanted to buy his cows he wanted them to think he had them for a while. He doesn't keep a cow longer than a year.

HAHAHA, thats what they make starting fluid for isn't it. I take the tags off everything I bring in no matter how long I am going to keep it. And yes I do trade most of them within a year. Some within a few days. The person may know the cow came from the market but the removal of the tag and all marks gives the buyer some confidence that you took the time to do things right when you brought the cow in.

KT I wasn't downing a trader. Actually i bought 30 brood cows from him this time last year. It's crazy that he probably buys 200 to 250 head a year and when it gets time for him to get rid of them its the best set of cows around here.

I take the tags off of mine too .. no reason I run them down the shoot to worm so I pull them off...

Oh i didnt take it bad. Just saying that if he really does it right he might be way ahead of someone selling cows off the farm that have never had anything done to them.
When I unload cows I worm, eartag, give vaccinations, age, preg check if needed, everything needed. Many even get a haircut so head and ears look better. They are ready for anyone that comes by or to be turned out for my own use.

We work everything we buy at the barn, which isn't much. Don't really have the time to go. I just leave the tags on because its what my grandpa did and its hard to break a habit.

Also in Virginia no need for tags to identify sale barn cows. An electronic eartag is placed in every head cow sold. Not the slaughter cows though.

circlew":8mjkpxfh said:
We work everything we buy at the barn, which isn't much. Don't really have the time to go. I just leave the tags on because its what my grandpa did and its hard to break a habit.

I rarely go to salebarns over 3 times a week but will buy calves in at least three sales next week. :oops: Sell in same 3 also. Mostly calves this week although a few slaughter cows.
You bring up a good point. We many times, me included, do not ever think to change the way we do things just do it that way because we always have. Hard for me to get started AI, buying very good bulls, soil testing, forage testing, no till drilling seed every few years. Many things I now do without thinking was foreign to most people here. I was looked upon as spending way too much money. Now many of the same people ask me for advice.
Now to origional question, if you are not trading there is really no reason to remove the sale tags.

No electronic tags here. Just the old glue and paper tags.

There is no one around me that AIs. Up until the last three years most folks just bought bulls from the barn. Few put out lime or even plant winter grass. And many don't vaccinate. But you can tell who they are now by the calves that go thru the ring. :nod:
I get to go to a week day sale every once in a while. We do have a Saturday sale close by but it really went to pot. Every once in a while they will have a good sale.

We've got a local trader that doesn;t do anything but pull the tags and claim he raised everyone of them. Amazing how many people fall for it

when i used to buy cattle out of the sale barns i never bothered pulling the taggs off.as they will come off in time.but i have some trader friends that would buy an sale 100hd a week.an they always pull the old sale taggs off the cattle.

Years ago I used almost everything at the sale barn. Always unloaded them in the corral at home, put them thru the chute, wormed, vaccinated, eartagged, branded and removed back tags ( I used WD-40). I usually bought bred cows, calved them out and hauled the pair back to the sale when the calf weighed about 350 lbs. I always removed all the paint fromt he cow (age and months bred)..(WD-40 again).

circlew":1ejjue48 said:
How many of yall take the tags off the cows you've bought at the sale barn? We leave ours on them till they fall off. Makes it easier to identify them if they get out and onto a neighbors place.
if i seen cows with stockyard tags in with my cattle,,,, id panic .......

circlew":3v9tk5cb said:
TB I never thought about using wd-40 to remove the tags and paint.

Works great. Just lift the edge of the tag and spray and continue to pull upward gently. Comes off quick, easy and no bald spot. Paint...just spray, allow to soak a bit and rake it off with a curry comb.

Latest posts