Safest States In America

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB said:
True Grit Farms said:
Son of Butch said:
I can't apologize for liking my home state, especially outside the 7 county metropolitan area.
But I don't view the majority of small town America as that much different than rural Minnesota.

As for the Vikes, they'll put up great stats for having one of the toughest schedules in the league
in 2019 and go 10-6 but of course they will fall short in the playoffs as usual.

I think you'd find here in the south is a lot different than what your use to. I spent a lot of time in Two Harbors, MN and have a fIshing cabin in Hayward, WI. I'm fully aware how good you have it, that is till the cold sets in for months. People always tell me they can take the cold better than the heat, they've never been to Duluth in February.

Grit, I was just down in your neck of the woods a couple weeks back. Stayed in north Georgia, but spent 1 day down by Atlanta. I was a little hesitant of going to Georgia in the end of June but that's what my wife wanted to do. We were blessed with really nice weather, mid to upper 80's most days, and think a day or two may have been low 90's but that's not too bad when your not doing any work. Had a good time just relaxing and seeing the area. Thought of getting on here and seeing if anyone in Georgia would be up for some out of towners checking out their farm & cattle but never got around to it. Only problem I had with your state was that I couldn't stop trying different BBQ joints out and ruined my diet.

We rent a lake house in Hiwassee GA every year to beat the heat. Only 19 more days till heat relief. As long as you don't go south of the capital Atlanta isn't bad....besides the speedway traffic.

I hope the word gets out about my state being dangerous. Quit moving here, lol! We're getting too full. Too many of the gators must be trying to stay sober because not enough drunk tourists are getting munched on this year. A couple of munchings by gators (usually it's people who drowned themselves first, but the gator takes the blame) slows the newcomers down.

Maybe part of the reason we're more dangerous is, unless there is a hurricane blowing, you can get into trouble year round. It doesn't get cold enough to keep people inside and out of trouble on the street. Plus, all that time wasted bundling up and stripping down. What do crooks do? Get inside a place and say, "Hang on, let me get my heavy coat and these gloves off so I can maneuver properly and get my finger on the trigger..." :p

Little Cow said:
Maybe part of the reason we're more dangerous is, unless there is a hurricane blowing, you can get into trouble year round. It doesn't get cold enough to keep people inside and out of trouble on the street. Plus, all that time wasted bundling up and stripping down. What do crooks do? Get inside a place and say, "Hang on, let me get my heavy coat and these gloves off so I can maneuver properly and get my finger on the trigger..." :p

Petty crime really does decrease around here in the winter. Who is going wander around town trying to snatch purses or break into cars when it's -40? You can't even get in a decent fight if you're appropriately dressed for winter. Passersby can't tell if you're wrestling or cuddling to stay warm.

Little Cow said:
I hope the word gets out about my state being dangerous.
If you look at the data the reason Florida is rated 48 overall for safety isn't crime (40) or gators,
but appears Floridians lack a common sense gene to cross a road without hurting themselves
or when driving it seems they're pretty careless about running into things or each other.

Mississippi is the unsafest overall, also due to road safety, seems too many there shouldn't be
allowed to drive a mule let alone a car.

Son of Butch said:
Little Cow said:
If you look at the data the reason Florida is rated 48 overall for safety isn't crime (40) or gators,
but appears Floridians lack a common sense gene to cross a road without hurting themselves
or when driving it seems they're pretty careless about running into things or each other.

Mississippi is the unsafest overall, also due to road safety, seems too many there shouldn't be

Might be Mississippi ranks 50 in IQ by state.

Son of Butch said:
Little Cow said:

Well, that's not exactly it...

When they build a new neighborhood, they make it an island. They have the minimum amount of required sidewalk space within the development, but the sidewalk ends just outside. We have a lot of "roads to nowhere" and places "where the sidewalk ends". Ditches are everywhere to help with runoff during powerful storms (or just your garden variety afternoon gusher) but sidewalks take a back seat. It's like the planners say to themselves, "who in their right mind would want to walk in this heat?" I am finally seeing more bike lanes around town, but they also end in bad places. Pedestrians need to be nimble and clever to survive.

Little Cow said:
Son of Butch said:
Little Cow said:

We have a lot of "roads to nowhere" and places "where the sidewalk ends.
It's like the planners say to themselves, "who in their right mind would want to walk in this heat?"
Pedestrians need to be nimble and clever to survive.
Unfortunately the two traits many Floridians clearly seem to lack and thus 48th in safety. :)

Son of Butch said:
Little Cow said:
Son of Butch said:

We have a lot of "roads to nowhere" and places "where the sidewalk ends.
It's like the planners say to themselves, "who in their right mind would want to walk in this heat?"
Pedestrians need to be nimble and clever to survive.
Unfortunately the two traits many Floridians clearly seem to lack and thus 48th in safety. :)

Maybe we're just selecting the fittest to survive. Let's face it, between the hurricanes, the heat, the bugs, and the gators, we are becoming a super race of humans down here. :lol:

And our cattle are tough, too. Cracker cattle are some of the neatest animals. Smart as the whip used to chase them out of the palmettos. I don't have any right now, but someday.

True Grit, we stopped at that candy store in Hayward, I'm not a big candy person but the wife wanted to go in, the place is something, never knew that there was that many different kinds of taffy or fudge, you can watch them make it also, we went on a Wednesday and there were wall to wall people, they sure have a good business, there peanut brittle was awesome.

haase said:
True Grit, we stopped at that candy store in Hayward, I'm not a big candy person but the wife wanted to go in, the place is something, never knew that there was that many different kinds of taffy or fudge, you can watch them make it also, we went on a Wednesday and there were wall to wall people, they sure have a good business, there peanut brittle was awesome.

Good deal, how was the fishing? I like the chocolate walnut fudge, and that white peanut brittle looking stuff they make.

The fishing was good, cought some decent northern pike and largemouth bass, was better when we first got there water temps were around 77 degrees later it warmed up to 82, slowed down a little then, Hayward is a neat town, forget that they have the lumberjack championship coming up in August.

True grit, had some of that peanut brittle tonight, checked the print on the bag, looks like other than Hayward, they also have a place in Eagle river WI, and Still water Minnesota, looks like they have some good recreational areas covered, good for them and they definitely have a good product, if you're ever up in the Hayward area pm me maybe we can time it right and fish together.