Sad bull day update

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
So this was one of our favorite bulls. Tatton. He hurt his jaw last summer, we got rent-a-bull to fill in.
He had improved and was king bull after the bulls came home. He had spent most of the summer recovering so he got into good shape.
At preg check time the vet gave him a look over and was impressed with his improvement (end of October).
Today he is no longer with us. His jaw swelled up again and treatments were no longer viable. The vet came out to BSE test him. It's a test where the government gives a bit of cash for disposal.
So we checked out the jaw to see what was wrong. More absesses following the lympnodes, and the jaw bone was sharp and damaged. It had now turned into lumpy jaw.

We had treated when the injury happened by the vet, inspected at the breeding exam, treated this summer by the vet and now we had to make the hard call. Treat and hope or euthanize. We euthanized. It was hard. He was a good bull. We had not many replacements from him and that is sad.
This was him a week or so ago
cattle_nov21_2007_031.jpg

this was him while recovering last summer
115_1581.JPG

RIP[/img]

Sorry to hear that...

We are going to sell off a bull this week and I will hate to see him go.

Gosh RR, I'm sorry about your loss. There are times when this business just stinks - literally and figuratively! Seems like the weird stuff always happens to the favorites. How old was he?

he was born in '03 and began his lustful career in '04. He was out for part of the season in '06 (at the end) and out for most of '07. He bred a few this past season. Hopefully they will be all heiffers from good cows.
When he recovered we thought great one more year...no such luck.

How much do you get for a BSE test from the government?Also I thought they changed things that there must be neurological symptoms to qualify as too many people were abusing the system.

It happens sooner or later, doesn't make it any easier though.

Sorry, it's always hard to loose any kind of animal financially, But, do I also suspect correctly that this bull meant more then that to you? I can empathize if so........been there done that so many times.

So............You mean that the Canadian goverment pays YOU $75.00 to have a Vet come to YOUR farm and check out your livestock? Wow.......We in the States are so behind the times....wonder if the Vet will preg test and help vaccinate whilst there as well? ;-)

But then again...kinda flies in the face of those that want to keep the goverment and any of it's programs as far away from their own farms as possible...specially when it comes to regulators of any kind. :cboy:

the governement pays us the 75 and the vet or her/his time and costs.
It is a way to get the cattle guys involved in the monitoring, testing and prevention of BSE
Puts some of the responsiblity on us to get involved in taking our industry back and showing we are doing what we need to do to get back on our feet.

some of you guys really make me wonder why we were the ones (canadian's ) that took the sh#t kick over the last 4+ years
sorry to hear about your bull put down my vrdl son on sun
and yes he was tested

Sorry for your loss.. it's very hard to make that call, especially on one you've doctored and tried to make better. I've had bad luck with bulls the past four or five years, so my new philosphy is not to get attached to them, and sell them after one breeding season. So far so good! ;-)

Latest posts