ryegrass

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
How does ryegrass compare to say bermuda or bahai as far as nutrient value?
If I get a good stand of rye should my grazing be similiar to my summer grazing ?

denoginnizer":mptlbfc3 said:
How does ryegrass compare to say bermuda or bahai as far as nutrient value?
If I get a good stand of rye should my grazing be similiar to my summer grazing ?

I had some ryegrass and crimson clover tested a couple of years ago. I sent it in green.

It tested 21 % protein on a dry matter basis.
Never had bermuda or bahia test that high. Usually bout 10%.

I don't leave my cows in the grazing all day long. 2-3 hours and they start tromping it down and crapping on it.

The calves have a creep gate and they can go into the grazing at anytime.

There was a a sample of ryegrass/clover hay at the county evaluation clinic that tested more than 21% protein. It was cut late in May so the ryegrass was fairly mature, but the clover and young bermuda that were mixed in kept the protein up.

For grazing purposes, you can plan on better than 20% from ryegrass, maybe up to 25% protein. Bermuda has to be really young and tender to even get close. I did see the results of a demonstration done years ago on a dairy, where they fertilized every 28 days and mowed the bermuda frequently (1/2 field was mowed close to the ground one week and the other half was mowed the following week). Protein was checked weekly. This was started in mid-July and continued into the fall. Protein started out over 20% and never got below 15% even after 6 weeks of no rain.

I just overseeded some hay meadows and pastures with a rye/ryegrass mix yesterday. It is pouring rain today ! I had a soil test done yesterday, but it will be a while before the results. Should I do put outsomething now or wait and see the results. RCP- Central Arkansas

Wait. I hope you have warmer temps then we've had. Nothing has sprouted, not fescue, WW, annual rye, or even weeds. Those 23 degree nights and 41 degree days have a tnedency to not be real good for germination it seems

dun

Latest posts