rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
I have rye grass over Tifton 85. Have not been able to mow and bail because of weather. Looks like another week of rain. I was thinking about just burning it of will it kill the Tifton 85 and would the Tifton survive and flourish.

Just an observation.... in the heat of the summer I see fire scorched areas by the highways. Seems the Bermuda and other grasses comes back just fine but it takes a month or so.

Bale it when you can and use it as filler if nothing else.

Ryegrass is unreal this year. I shredded it on my coastal early then I cut and baled it and it's still going. My Bermuda had little bits of green in it February so I was scared to Roundup it.
On the other hand we've put up alot of hay already, won't be the best in the world but not the worst either

callmefence said:
Ryegrass is unreal this year. I shredded it on my coastal early then I cut and baled it and it's still going. My Bermuda had little bits of green in it February so I was scared to Roundup it.
On the other hand we've put up alot of hay already, won't be the best in the world but not the worst either

Like engine oil and chassis lube, any hay is better than none at all, especially in January and February. :clap:

Sitting here at the commuter and watching it rain. Pretty heavy. Probable cut the first of June if it keeps this up. The grass is growing and the cows have been calving and are in good body shape. These cows are going on five years old. Good chance this old man needs to sell. Good early grass really puts the weight on some poor cows coming out of the winter.

When you can get to it, bale it. The Bermuda will come out and smile at you. Change in seasonal temps are in Bermuda's favor. Great mix as you get 2 crops for the price of 1. My Bermuda is hitting about 6" now and my Rye is already baled, sold and at the customer's farm.

Latest posts