rusty water

Help Support CattleToday:

samm

Reaction score
when and if we ever get some substancial rains and our tanks begin to fill back up....we are thinking about putting some guttering ( 6 inch pvc cut in half) on one side of the barn to catch the run off and send it straight on into a tank thats close to it. most of the tin on the roof of the barn is about 78 years old and is of course rusty, but still in pretty fair shape, very few leaks, so no plans to replace it...yet. but my question is do ya think the rain water coming right off the barn into the pool would be too rusty and might somehow mess up the water, i dont want to make the cows sick or the cats or what ever may drink it....

thanks samm

samm":nvog4wjk said:
but my question is do ya think the rain water coming right off the barn into the pool would be too rusty and might somehow mess up the water

thanks samm
I would expect that the rust would sink to the bottom of your tanks.

The rust will settle to the bottom. We have one corral that has no water source and the water tub is rusting. It has never caused a problem, but I like to dump and rinse it once a week or so - I guess because I don't have enough other things to do. :roll:

samm":2omfceax said:
when and if we ever get some substancial rains and our tanks begin to fill back up....we are thinking about putting some guttering ( 6 inch pvc cut in half) on one side of the barn to catch the run off and send it straight on into a tank thats close to it. most of the tin on the roof of the barn is about 78 years old and is of course rusty, but still in pretty fair shape, very few leaks, so no plans to replace it...yet. but my question is do ya think the rain water coming right off the barn into the pool would be too rusty and might somehow mess up the water, i dont want to make the cows sick or the cats or what ever may drink it....

thanks samm

Samm for many year the old timers had cisterns for watering livestock.

If it's just rust, I'd probably go ahead and do it. Even if the roof looks real rusty, not much will come off in a rain and I'd think what little does wouldn't hurt anything. I reckon if it had old peeling paint I might be more concerned.

Caustic Burno":lxg3d2b7 said:
samm":lxg3d2b7 said:

thanks samm

Samm for many year the old timers had cisterns for watering livestock.

We had one and used it for many, many years.

Prior to city water lines being run everywhere, almost every stock barn around here caught water off rusty tin roofs to water cattle. I have a large tobacco barn guttered that provides water for the heifers I wean each fall. My only problem is when we go a long time between rains like we have this year. I HAVE TO HAUL!

Really now folks, we are talking about animals that would drink water outa a ditch when fresh clean water was right in front of em.

houstoncutter":1iy8d06x said:
Really now folks, we are talking about animals that would drink water outa a ditch when fresh clean water was right in front of em.

I agree but you don't want to intentionally put them in danger if you can avoid it.

When I was a kid we caught rainwater in 50 gal steel barrels. It rusted but would serve for watering for the corral animals. In retrospect it probably was not the best but it never caused any problems. I have seen the animals drink pooled water around the area which by looks like it is stale with fresh water 3 feet away. Freshest, cleanest water as possible is better for the them.

J&T Farm":1b51kr0l said:
Ive been thirsty enough to to drink out of a cow track before. :arrow: Id sure enuf drink rain water caught from a rusty roof.
:lol:
There was a time when the water in the cistern from the rusty tin roof (south side, north side had oh no MOLD) was only for the people. Cows got pond water.

Latest posts