Rusty Farm Equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I just got some rusty farm equipment from a farmers daughter that died 3 years ago and his stuff sat in field and barn for 3 years i got a 10' disc made by long if I read the name plate right a MF 3 bottom plow 6 foot Blade post hole digger. I want to paint this stuff and make it look good incase later someone wants to buy it... I am not gonna sandblast all of that I may hit it with a wire wheel some but I am wondering should I paint it with a brush or spray it with a sprayer. some pieces have pretty heavy rust. I also wonder what paint I should use on it.I appreciate any guidance I get. :help:

I would would knock all the rust off with a wire wheel and wire brush, then apply Ospho or something like it with a pump-up sprayer. Then go back and paint it with whatever original color it was. Any pitted areas will still show but it will still look and sell much better.

Thanks James... I will do that. I have some horse drawn equipment that im gonna do the same but I am having that sand blasted to paint it up really nice... James I must admit i was hoping you would say just use rustoleum primer by spraying then spray the paint on with sprayer lol that disc is gonna take alot of time with all the crevices and nooks im going to have to cover lol... I am going to upload some links of what I need to paint.

You sure you aren't from around Warsaw, Kentucky Skyhigh? Half that stuff looks just like what I've got ahead of me to restore some day.

I'll be looking for the "afer" pictures now that you've shown us the "before".

Good luck.

Tennessee now that I know what I need to do I wish that equipment was in Warsaw,Kentucky and not at my place lol... Yes, But the afer pics will be one at a time and im sure spaced out or maybe 2 at a time lol I think the disk will definately be the last project... The chisel plow and the scraper blade may be first or the brillion cultivator.

I painted some equipment about 5-8 years ago. I knocked off any loose rust and painted it with the paint from Tractor Supply. It wasn't a professional job, but it still looks fine today.

I sprayed it. That disk would take forever to brush on.

Line them all up and spray them in a couple of hours. Then move on to the next project.

lol I was trying to read the can but my buddy gave me a gallon of red and gallon of blue implement paint and where he poured it went all over the can and covered directions.

skyhightree1":2xsn00f2 said:
lol I was trying to read the can but my buddy gave me a gallon of red and gallon of blue implement paint and where he poured it went all over the can and covered directions.
As a guess then I would think in the mid 70s with low humidity would be OK

As long as this topic is closely related, I'll ask a question I keep forgetting to ask . . . . . Have any of you used the Rust Guy product, and what did you think of it (not for a massive job, but for spot treatments) ? Thx.

Kathie in Thorp":1w0kz5hy said:
As long as this topic is closely related, I'll ask a question I keep forgetting to ask . . . . . Have any of you used the Rust Guy product, and what did you think of it (not for a massive job, but for spot treatments) ? Thx.
I got the same stuff they sell grom Gemplers. Used it to spo touch up the floorboards of an old Mule where the paint had worn through. Whne I sold it the places I had touched up were still black/grey but the paint around it had worn through.

Latest posts