Rural Internet

Help Support CattleToday:

we have an REA here and when the interweb came out the only option we had was thru the REA for internet (dialup) as things progressed Our options were satellite or dsl thru the phone company. They still offer dialup at our coop

Electricity was a lot more important than internet. And internet service is available, in some way, to everyone. Maybe it's not as fast as we'd like or as cheap, but it's there. There's already some government funding going towards expanding rural internet. I think that's as far as it needs to go.

M.Magis":2glzkhom said:
Electricity was a lot more important than internet. And internet service is available, in some way, to everyone. Maybe it's not as fast as we'd like or as cheap, but it's there. There's already some government funding going towards expanding rural internet. I think that's as far as it needs to go.
I totally agree. And maybe not even go that far for the internet access deal.

Someone has been paying to have fiber optic lines run throughout middle Georgia. I'm sure that the taxpayers are footing the bill. Because they ran the line to two different places that I own with old houses that need to be demolished and haven't been lived in for years.

ram":2znn2dcv said:
Someone has been paying to have fiber optic lines run throughout middle Georgia. I'm sure that the taxpayers are footing the bill. Because they ran the line to two different places that I own with old houses that need to be demolished and haven't been lived in for years.
In MO they won;t even run it much outside the city limits. Those of us so far out that they have to shoot beans to us are just SOL when it comes to fiber. They've been claiming that htye are going to get it out here for the past 5-6 years. Ain;t made it yet and won;t in my lifetime.

I've heard my dad talk many times about how REA changed people's way of life. Like many today, he remembers a time when he lived without electricity. You can't really say that high speed internet would make that kind of change in people lives.

there are a LOT of people today, --A lot--that if ya took their high speed internet away would be found curled up on the floor in their own pee and feces the next morning in a fetal position with a thumb in their mouth, murmuring incoherently.
They've had it their whole lives and don't know there's a world outside the internet.

Latest posts