Rural America

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan":37lxa6k9 said:
Waterway65":37lxa6k9 said:
In 45 years I have never locked anything up here. I have never felt threatened in this neighborhood. I do have firearms around and a concealed weapons permit. God is good.

I'm glad To bear someone else lives in a nice place. I guess with some, it's no trouble having conversation topics; it's all about what you had stolen this week or who you caught tresspassing. Around d here, it's rarely mentioned.

I still cant get over some of these stories. It relates to the thread we had a while back about people who felt the need to pack while they mowed their lawn. I thought they were joking.

I think this is like wondering why people do t move who get hit by hurricanes a lot. I think if I lived in a place so bad that I had to pack to mow my lawn and call the sheriff because someone came down my drive, I would move. According to these post, however, there would be nowhere to move to.
I think your reading comprehension isn't very good. I moved to where I'm because of the lack of hurricanes, and laid back life. I'd move to upstate New York or Montana if I thought I could handle the winters. I'd still CC if I live there, bad stuff happens every day to someone, and hopefully I can prevent it from happening to me or mine.
And another thing when folks that CC mow the yard or go to the mail box, check cows, take a dump or change a flat tire they always have a pistol. A gun in the truck or house doesn't do you any good if your not there.

Bright Raven":3klop9a5 said:
Herofan,

Maybe I can provide some thoughts to shed some light on the threats in our society.

Each of us has a threshold for what makes us feel uncomfortable.

TexasBred is a secure, balanced Texan. He would not feel threatened if two Abram Tanks came rolling down his driveway.

On the other hand, if two young girls catching butterflies came down Grit's driveway, he would not feel safe.
I didn't know they were young girls in my hay field trying to out run me to the back road. I was still in my prime back then, and there is definitely a greater power at work. I came so close ruining 3 lives that day, if I'd of hit them, instead of them hitting me, I'm sure they'd be dead.

True Grit Farms":39w8p765 said:
Bright Raven":39w8p765 said:
Herofan,

Maybe I can provide some thoughts to shed some light on the threats in our society.

TexasBred is a secure, balanced Texan. He would not feel threatened if two Abram Tanks came rolling down his driveway.

On the other hand, if two young girls catching butterflies came down Grit's driveway, he would not feel safe.
I didn't know they were young girls in my hay field trying to out run me to the back road. I was still in my prime back then, and there is definitely a greater power at work. I came so close ruining 3 lives that day, if I'd of hit them, instead of them hitting me, I'm sure they'd be dead.

Vince, you handled that well. Lol

There is a serious point here. We all have different thresholds for what makes us feel safe or threatened.

Bright Raven":19mux1fu said:
True Grit Farms":19mux1fu said:
Bright Raven":19mux1fu said:
Herofan,

There is a serious point here. We all have different thresholds for what makes us feel safe or threatened.
Some of us have our reasons to feel the way we do. Life's not always peaches and cream.

True Grit Farms":1rhmlnmz said:
Bright Raven":1rhmlnmz said:
True Grit Farms":1rhmlnmz said:

Some of us have our reasons to feel the way we do. Life's not always peaches and cream.

I have felt uncomfortable in several situations. Oddly, in the case where myself and two others were being fired at was not the worse.

One of the most uncomfortable situations for me was a bar in Hardin Montana just off the Crow and Northern Cheyenne reservations. The bar was occupied by several customers off the reservation. Alcohol is not sold on Reservations in Montana unless that has been changed. The Indians come in and over indulge. There were several violent fights in the few minutes I was there. The bar keeper simply makes them go out the back. Not uncommon for shooting and cutting.

I felt uncomfortable and a concealed gun would not have changed that. I never went back in a bar near a reservation after that one experience.

Waterway65":388irgui said:
In 45 years I have never locked anything up here. I have never felt threatened in this neighborhood. I do have firearms around and a concealed weapons permit. God is good.

We were always taught trust is a two way street. You're a good person.

Bright Raven":1hklupo5 said:
Herofan,

Lots of conjecture and hyperbole there...

If the 2 Abrams rolled down my drive way, swung the turrets around and elevated the muzzles up to my front door level, I'd be less than comfortable and would be out the back door pretty quick and suspect TB would as well.
If some stranger (more realistically) drove up, got out of their vehicle with a mossberg and jacked a round in the chamber, same reaction for me, and again, I suspect from TB, or any other reasonable person.
Cemeteries are full of trusting people.

Same person drives up, gets out and not armed, I'm not nearly as concerned, but still cautious.

True Grit Farms":zu8yd965 said:
I think your reading comprehension isn't very good.

It's probably not. I'm glad you diagnosed that. Maybe you could help me improve my reading comprehension. We probably live a good distance apart; do you have any online courses I could sign up for?

greybeard":2x8779co said:
Bright Raven":2x8779co said:
Herofan,

Lots of conjecture and hyperbole there...

If the 2 Abrams rolled down my drive way, swung the turrets around and elevated the muzzles up to my front door level, I'd be less than comfortable and would be out the back door pretty quick and suspect TB would as well.
If some stranger (more realistically) drove up, got out of their vehicle with a mossberg and jacked a round in the chamber, same reaction for me, and again, I suspect from TB, or any other reasonable person.
Cemeteries are full of trusting people.

Same person drives up, gets out and not armed, I'm not nearly as concerned, but still cautious.

I am sure we will hear from TexasBred as soon as he gets up. :hide:

Well, strangers drive up for different reasons, but 99% of the time, you can bet it ain't to catch sweet little butterflies.

greybeard":2pbt881o said:
Well, strangers drive up for different reasons, but 99% of the time, you can bet it ain't to catch sweet little butterflies.

Conversely, 99% of the time it is not to shoot the place up. Except maybe in the south. Looks like there is more violence down that way according to that map.

True Grit Farms":17wb8gjh said:
I don't think you can learn common sense, you either have it or you don't. Good luck I wish you nothing but the best.

I disagree with your statement. You get common sense by a collection of life experiences used to form better decision in the future.

I don't think babies are born with common sense!

Bright Raven":uyrl2srm said:
greybeard":uyrl2srm said:

Conversely, 99% of the time it is not to shoot the place up. Except maybe in the south. Looks like there is more violence down that way according to that map.

Maps don't mean squat to dead people. .low % included--dead is still dead and assault is still assault.
Ask Rand Paul..

D2Cat":7ncxxw13 said:
True Grit Farms":7ncxxw13 said:
I don't think you can learn common sense, you either have it or you don't. Good luck I wish you nothing but the best.

I disagree with your statement. You get common sense by a collection of life experiences used to form better decision in the future.

I agree. Common sense is very much related to a collection of life experiences. I also didn't understand how reading comprehension was so directly related to common sense that it was mentioned as a first response.

AdamsCreek":1928nisa said:
Years ago you could work outside all day and see three cars go by and know who they were. Now you see 5 to 10 an hour go by at 70 mph and not recognize one.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :cry2: :cry2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Sorry...but that's funny.... 5 to 10 an hour. I didn't move but maybe I don't live rural anymore. I mean we do have a 911 address now and lost the rural route box number. :D But I grew up here a quarter mile off a state highway. After the morning rush of working people heading east to go to work and students going to school, yeah, you could see as many as 5 to 10 going by ay about 60 mph..... now it's rare not to have to wait for 10 to 15 before you find a space where you can get on and 70 mph is just as funny. :nod:

D2Cat":2kpy3qe8 said:
True Grit Farms":2kpy3qe8 said:

You are so correct. Common sense is a function of life experiences, judgement, ability to evaluate, and cognitive skills. It is learned behavior.

1982vett":3i116vek said:
AdamsCreek":3i116vek said:
Years ago you could work outside all day and see three cars go by and know who they were. Now you see 5 to 10 an hour go by at 70 mph and not recognize one.
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :cry2: :cry2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Sorry...but that's funny.... 5 to 10 an hour. I didn't move but maybe I don't live rural anymore. I mean we do have a 911 address now and lost the rural route box number. :D But I grew up here a quarter mile off a state highway. After the morning rush of working people heading east to go to work and students going to school, yeah, you could see as many as 5 to 10 going by ay about 60 mph..... now it's rare not to have to wait for 10 to 15 before you find a space where you can get on and 70 mph is just as funny. :nod:

Traffic is still sparse in my part of the world, though not as much as years ago. The local grocery/feed store is about 5 miles from my house, and if I drive there and don't see another vehicle I don't think anything of it.

Bright Raven":3r5ypk5h said:
D2Cat":3r5ypk5h said:
True Grit Farms":3r5ypk5h said:

You are so correct. Common sense is a function of life experiences, judgement, ability to evaluate, and cognitive skills. It is learned behavior.
Really? The smartest and most well schooled people I know personally don't have enough common sense to survive without books or smart phones. And none have any mechanical abilities, if you can get them pointed in the right direction they're usually good to go. I truly believe they over think everything.