Runny Nose & not eating 12 day old

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you suggest skipping the mid day? & just offer water? I will be much more at ease when this little guy starts eating his Startena & drinking water on his own.

As for tubing, I do not have a way, as I don't know how. My vet lives 2 miles from me, and I know for a fact that he will come at 3am if need be (been there don't that with a colic - got a t-shirt, but I don't wear it as my old man died after 14 hours of trying to save him) When my vet was here Friday, we talked about tubing, and I told him that I was more comfortable with watching him the first time, and for him to explain as he was doing it. I will administer most anything and everything - but I have to "know" how.

I agree with Larry the calf looks fine in the picture. I might have missed how many times you feed per day..If the calf is feeding 2 times a day and doesn't seem weak or listless then I wouldn't worry.

When you said you hate to "sit and watch something die", that indicated to me that the calf didn't seem healthy. Larry and Alice have alot more experience than I do, I can only tell you what worked for me. I fed our bottle calves 2x day and did not let them skip a feeding, I only had to tube them a few times and when I did I used electrolytes. When they started looking/acting weak (within the first week) I took them to the vet and he gave them antibiotics (draxin), vitamin shot and tubed one of the calves with a bottle similar to the link below (his office actually sold the bottle). After a couple weeks and lots of ups/downs they were eager to eat. Vet told me to wet the end of nozzle with milk water and gently insert in throat, he told me the speculum has a knob on the end which will enter the esophagus, but is larger than the larynx so it will not enter the larynx and it also will not pass the thorasic inlet.

http://www.animart.com/product.php?prod ... 135&page=1

Larry's right, you are doing your best and you have to take care of yourself to. Hang in there!donna

He has a virus, and under vet care. He would not drink last night, and more than likely I am being dramatic (as hubs would say). Larry I think that I will take you advice, skip his noon bottle, offer him some water with electrolytes and feed him 2x a day. (had been 3)

No, feed 3 times. Get something in him 3 times a day. They gorge on 2 times a day. Give 3 pints instead of 4 each feeding, but don't stop the third feeding. He does not have scours. His eyes look good. Temp today?

Larry is right ~ walk away at the end of the day.
I am never able to do this, but it is good advice ;-)

It's fine to feed him 3 times a day, but I think I would still limit the powder to 16 oz total until you get him better . If he's still hungry let him suck some water out of a bottle, wait at least an hour after feeding milk . I think you'll find that after an hour he is not as hungry as he acted before .

As far as the tube goes it is an instrument of last resort and since he is not dehydrated I would hesitate to use it . Severe dehydration is the reason for tubing . We still have to keep an eye out for scours . Usually respiratory cases that are treated early come right back on feed .

Larry

He did drink this afternoon, I pulled him to 3 pints, and lowered the powder. He was not pleased with the shots, and I adorn my fist cow kick :oops: That was not pleasant, but then again I am sure that he was not pleased with getting poped in the neck twice with sharp needles :lol: and probios shoved down his throat.

I know that it is not a good thing, but in the silly side of me A: glad he is a baby not a full grown, B: he feels well enough to get mad about it. Urine still quite clear, and poops still very good.

I hate to sound sappy, but I am so glad that I found this board, at least there is people to comfort me to walk me through the "first times" of all of this.

I am SO pleased, he drank tonight with MUCH gusto! Maybe just maybe we are over the hump and my little man will be JUST FINE! Went fishing this evening for a bit, came home and we were about 20-30 min late from the time that he normally eats - drove up and the little man was nosing his Startena!! Hey call me stupid, but I am excited that he would at least would nose it, next step -eating on his own!

BRAVO! Knew you could do it. :nod:

Keep up the 3 feedings, 3 times a day, 3 pints, for a short time OK?
He will start eating soon.
After he is done with his bottle and wants to suck your fingers, scoop some feed into your hand and deposit it into his mouth. :nod: Keep it fresh. Until he starts eating it, just leave out a small amount (like a cup). Fresh every morning if not 2 times a day. If you come out for 2nd feeding and it is gone ~ great! Give more then. Make sure to keep his water full as well.

Get him a buddy soon.......

Good job Bambi's mom ;-)

I am going to learn not to speak too soon! Bambi is at the vets office (stall) scours began this am, he would not drink anything. Went out there to offer again, and he was laid out flat eyes rolling in the back of his head. Got he up & awake good, called vet, called my father in law, loaded up kids in the van, grabed him up and rode with him in the back of the van as my father in law drove. Got him in the stall, gave him more banamine & scour meds. Vet was on his way back from a call. He should be there in about 20 minutes, and he will tube him.

(*edited to add, I took him in my van beacuse I did not want to take the time to hook up the trailer (hubs NOT pleased with that part :eek:)

I have been giving him the probios since this all began, guess it can't stop all scours. He was doing SO good last night!

He made it through the night and is stronger as of right now. He is still at the vet office, and will stay there until the vet thinks that he is out of the woods.

that calf is rapidly approaching the cost prohibitive part of raising cattle. Pretty soon that vet bill will end up costing more than the animal is worth

Well, I am sure that you are right, this was never to be a "business" as much as a "project" for the kids. You see, hubs and I think that kids that are rasied on a farm - even though ours is a "hobby farm" get into less trouble than kids who are just out there to make up their own ideas of fun. Every thing here that dies has a funeral, and they take it very much to heart. The worst funeral was a still born foal, they never even knew that baby - but the potential of loving him was so great, as it was the first to drop here. I am sure that many people would tube on thier own, I don't know how. I am the one who has to deal with heart broken children, my 13 year old cried herself to sleep last night because he wasn't here, and the fact that he is sick. With the virus that he has, he stopped eating, so when the scours began, that became more than I could handle. I am not going to let something die if it is within my control to do what I can. So, your thinking that I have more money thane sense. Maybe so (not really the economy sucks) Maybe just more heart than sense, or in this case cents ;-)

Pretty soon that vet bill will end up costing more than the animal is worth.
Pretty soon?! :lol2: Maybe you have not read other posts by her, but I don't think she is looking at the cost. That is neither bad nor good as it is not our money she is spending, it just is as it is.....

Best of Luck Bambi!!
Keep us informed :nod:

but I don't think she is looking at the cost

It scares the crap out of me, as I have not seen the bill yet!!! Friday was only $50.00 (even with the farm call- did I mention that I love my vet :heart: ) I have no idea what yesterday & today will be :shock:

Sounds to me that your children are going to grow up to be loving and compassionate people.

I can totally relate to what you are doing, it is a luxury that a lot cannot afford to do though, but as long as you have the money to spend on the animals and enjoy what you are doing I say go for it.

Good luck with your calf I hope he pulls through.

BTW I love your vet also ,he/she sounds like a very good hearted person.

but as long as you have the money to spend on the animals

LOL.... well lets just say that there are many meals planned for the next month that contains dry beans. Hubs has "put a limit" on the boy - he will have to deal with the kids if it comes to that.

Have you ever checked into 4H for your kids? We also have a "hobby farm" grass hay is our hobby but we have enough room for the kids to each have a dairy calf to raise from newborn to 350-400 lbs and then show and sell at our county fair. They learn how much animals cost, that unexpected things happen - scours, pneumonia and bloat for us this year (and I learned how to tube a calf). They have to keep a record book of what is in their feed, how much things cost, weight gain, etc. Then we go to the fair where they show-off their calves and themselves in showmanship and quality. The last Saturday of fair all the animals are sold and the kids always make a profit. The community is always more than generous with what they pay for the animals. The kids can stick some $$ in the bank for college and are able to set enough aside to buy a calf the following year. My kids love it and being a city girl myself we all are learning a lot. You can choose various animals. We have done both sheep and dairy calves but my kids like the calves the best - easier to show but they do step on your feet :eek:

Bambi is home, holding his own for right now (meaning drinking from a bottle). Still had a slight temp yesterday 104, so still on meds, banamine & bio-sponge. Doc gave him a different kind antibiotic, but I didn't catch the name of it.

Latest posts