Runny Nose & not eating 12 day old

Help Support CattleToday:

bambi_boy

Reaction score
Well, after a week my boy was doing good, until today. This morning he ate as usual, this afternoon, he won't eat, has a runny nose & watery eyes. Yesterday I noticed that he was a little "weak" in the rear, wobbled more than I thought I had noticed before.

Vet has already been called, wating on a call back.

Maybe I am not meant to raise a bottle baby, I am of the female type, and it is just tearing me up. I am not wililng to write him off - so don't think that I am giving up on him. It won't be good if he doesn't make it.

See? You have called the vet, so already you are doing the right thing! :clap:
Glad to see you are moving quick on it. If you don't have a temp on him ~ get one b4 the vet calls. It is an important diagnostic tool. Don;t let it ride to see what happens, they can go down fast once it starts. Notice scouring? Stay on him and good luck!!

sounds like he has numonia going by the runny nose.the watery eyes has me stumped though.

Vet just left, slight temp, gave him meds for the temp, and an antiobotic. Left me with a temp med shot for tomorrow and one for Sunday & an antiobotic for Sunday. BUT if he doesn't drink tonight later, then will be back to tube him if I wanted. No scours. Vet said that he looked really healthy, that the momma came out in me and was Johnny on the spot. Heart & Lungs were clear. He was well pleased with how he looked though.

Well, bless your vet's heart!

Remember, with antibiotics, probios is crucial. I've got my fingers crossed for ya'.

Alice

I would be watching for scours, at 12 days we're not completely out of the woods for scours yet .Now would be a good time for a shot of Draxxin .If you can post a new pic . Maybe we can gather something from a more recent photo .

Larry

larryshoat":16l2nqbz said:
I would be watching for scours, at 12 days we're not completely out of the woods for scours yet .Now would be a good time for a shot of Draxxin .If you can post a new pic . Maybe we can gather something from a more recent photo .

Larry

Larry, I'm with you on this one...Draxxin! And banamine...?

Bambi, it's definitely worth a mention to the vet.

Alice

your never out of the woods with bottle babies an scours.an this calf being a jersey x calf.makes the scours more of a prob to watch for.

He drank well last night & this morning. He is on Nuflor (second dose tomorrow) & Banamine (got one today already and one tomorrow)

Rather hard to get a shot of a calf who wants to be right next to you, did manage to get a close up of his face, so that you could see his eyes & nose.

111340.jpg

What a relief! You caught that and acted quickly...good on you! And good on your vet!

Alice

I love my vet, 14 years of great service (equine) plus we go to the same Church. I am more of a pro-active person than a re-active, the same with my kids & them being/getting sick. OT - but if I had not insisted that my son was sicker than "just a cold" (he was 3 months old), the PICU doctor said that he could have been dead if I would have waited another 12-16 hours.

HIs eyes and ears look good, not punky.
Again ~ good job on your part!
He is not down so far that he has to fight hard to get back up.

Alice is right though, get him the probiotics so you don't start in with new problems. Get the paste kind, it is the most direct. You don;t need to get it from the vet, you can get it from farm supply or feed store.

Let us know.

The ears aren't droopy, that's a good sign. :D
I was so happy to hear that you called a vet, I find it disheartening to come on here and have people not know what is wrong with their animals but also not willing to call a vet. That calf is lucky to have you. I may have missed this in one of your posts but does he have a friend? A calf will have less sickness if they are with another calf.

I don't feel that I should bring a new calf in (5 day old) with Bambi having a viral thing going on. I am supposed to have 2 more come in, but this morning I turned down this weeks drops to make sure that he is good, and won't infect the new babies. He drank his normal 4 pints this morning, this afternoon, got only 2 pints down, and he would not drink at all tonight. His urine is still clear, so I think that I will let my vet sleep tonight. He gets 2 more shots tomorrow, so maybe I can kick this in the butt and get this boy going. I'm in a catch 22 of sort, yes he would love the company, but I don't want to get them sick. I did start him on the probios (paste) this morning, so maybe I won't have the secondary scours issue. Supposed to start raining in a little bit, I am going to stay up to make sure that he stays in the dry, if not then I will put him in the garage.

Regardless of if you bring new calves in now or later, you should keep all the calves separate until they're at least a month or so old... bottle calves have a strong tendency to want to suck on something, anything, and will suck on each others' ears, tails, navels, and anything else they can get a hold on. If you're in a cold climate, the calves can and will lose their ears and tails to frostbite, and sucking on navels can result in hernias or navel infections.

Keep 'em separate.

I agree not to bring them in until this guy is better but I have to disagree respectfully with Milkmaid. I'd give him friends as soon as his health makes it possible. We've always had bottle calves together from day one. We have never had the sucking problems that I have read about on here. We feed our babies often and a lot. The calves I have seen that suck on other calves are starved for food, affection or both. Obviously this isn't normal behaviour or the calves in the field would be doing it. Looking at your guy I doubt he is lacking either. A calf alone though actually will have a lowered immune system and more stress. They are herd animals and do better if they are with one or more of their own kind.
Keep us updated.:)

This is harder than I thought it would be, I didn't expect him to get sick - although I knew that it is a strong likely hood that baby calves do. I came in last night completly upset, I hate it when my animals are sick. Told DH (as I was in tears) that I hate to sit and watch something die. It bothered me all night (literally) that he would not eat last night.

This am (6 am), hubs went and checked on him, he came in and told me that he sucked his bottle down with no problems at all, left him wanting more. So, good sign. But, then again yesterday he drained his am bottle.

bambi_boy":2994tz0j said:
It bothered me all night (literally) that he would not eat last night.

This am (6 am), hubs went and checked on him, he came in and told me that he sucked his bottle down with no problems at all, left him wanting more. So, good sign. But, then again yesterday he drained his am bottle.

Do you have a way to tube the calf. I would not let him go to one feeding. Last year when my bottle calves did that they got weaker and so I tubed them one feeding, bottle the next..tubed with electolytes with vitamins and bottle fed the milk...in a couple days they were feeding regular. don't let the calf get dehydrated. Hang in there. keep us posted. donna

Bambi, Ive raised thousands of calves like yours and I've had groups that were a lot of trouble . Over the years I have developed the attitude that I will do everything I can do for them for 16 hours a day , then close the barn door and try not to think about it until the next morning . Your doing the best you know how and thats all you can do .

From your pic I don't think he is dehydrating, I would not give him more than 16 oz of powder a day until he gets over this . I said in an earlier post that I thought you were giving a little too much milk, but that it sounded like it was going ok . Well now it doesn't sound like it is going well . I realize he was asking for more , but they will . I don't think that caused his problem . If he wants more give him warm water with a little electrolyte between meals . The best is your way ahead on this problem . Good job !

Larry

Latest posts