Running 2 bulls together

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA":3oswu42c said:
You can run an older bull and a small bull together since there's no doubt who the boss is.Sometimes it helps keep the older bull's mind on his cows instead of others.
Didn't work this year as the oldest bull left a two year old in charge,jumped the fence and whipped my 3 year old.He's about ready to find a new home.

What would be a good age gap to have if I decided to run two bulls?
We have about 29 head now and may go up to 35.
Is one bull enough for 35 females?

Supa Dexta":1fxn8331 said:
If he's a decent bull atleast a couple yrs old, and not covering a lot of ground he can.
No reason why he couldn't unless they all cycled in a very short time.I'd make sure he was in good shape to start with.I still think it's better to rotate them than have two at one time.

I'd definitely try to keep them as two herds.. for one, you have a better idea which calves are from what bull, and less fighting.. If just for the first cycle already..
Last year I had two bulls, a 3 and 5 year old, they were separated the first 2 months of breeding, then got put back together.. well.. they had a 4 hour fight, and it's the younger one that ended up dominant

True Grit Farms":3nlyu9ph said:
JW IN VA":3nlyu9ph said:
Can you put one bull then the other at 2-3 week intervals?Two that close in size are going to do a lot of fighting and possibly miss a chance.

One bull is going to hurt the other, if the bulls are bred to breed. Nature is cruel and doesn't give many second chances. I'm putting a young bull in with the two older bulls. My bulls are best buddies until you turn them in with the girls, then the fight is on whenever a cow comes into heat. Please report back and let us know what you figure out, I have this problem myself.

My heart button doesn't work either. Agree with True Grit.

Hunter":w1umyu8t said:
Lucky":w1umyu8t said:
Are you running bulls year round or pulling them after x # of days?

If this is a ? for me, we run bulls year around.

I posted that to the OP but if you are running bulls year round I would think 1 bull could breed 50 cows pretty easy.

Lucky":1ca6znya said:
Hunter":1ca6znya said:
Lucky":1ca6znya said:
Are you running bulls year round or pulling them after x # of days?

If this is a ? for me, we run bulls year around.

I posted that to the OP but if you are running bulls year round I would think 1 bull could breed 50 cows pretty easy.

Ideally I would be running them with cows for around 3-4 months at the most and pulling them out, but recently haven't been able to do that. We actually have more bulls than needed cow wise, but with a heifer project and cows bulls are needed at the same time.

Pulling bulls is a pain and they are hard to keep up. I run mine for 90 days but used to run them year round. Not sure which is better.

Bulls will be bulls lol. We have ran multiple bulls in the past with mixed results. My vet shared an interesting story with me last week. 3 bulls in same pasture to breed a large group of cows. When dna/genetics were done on the calves 95% were from bull 1. Bull #2 bred 5%. So from the production side Bull 2 and 3 did nothing. It's not know the age of the 3 bulls, but we're all straight BA.

True Grit Farms":1pxigqaz said:
JW IN VA":1pxigqaz said:
Can you put one bull then the other at 2-3 week intervals?Two that close in size are going to do a lot of fighting and possibly miss a chance.

One bull is going to hurt the other, if the bulls are bred to breed. Nature is cruel and doesn't give many second chances. I'm putting a young bull in with the two older bulls. My bulls are best buddies until you turn them in with the girls, then the fight is on whenever a cow comes into heat. Please report back and let us know what you figure out, I have this problem myself.

Just updating on what I did about the bulls. Think it was April 20, I put the bull that always semen tests the best in with all the heifers. Wanted to divide the heifers between the two but at time didn't have time to do it, 2 weeks later did get them split up with both bulls. Now the second bull has come up with a hurt leg so all heifers are back with the first bull.

Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'm bringing one of mine to the sale barn with his papers and recent BSE results. Hopefully I'll get a good down payment out of him for my new yearling Brangus bull.

True Grit Farms":w9a89dac said:
Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'm bringing one of mine to the sale barn with his papers and recent BSE results. Hopefully I'll get a good down payment out of him for my new yearling Brangus bull.

Thanks, I hope not too, He is eating and appears healthy just hobbling around, so I'm thinking he slipped on or stepped on a rock. It's pretty rough in the field he has been in. I hope your bull does well, I like the idea of a Brangus bull. I would like my next bull to be a Brangus, but not many in this area, more Santa Gertrudis and Beefmasters for the available American breeds here.

Ky hills":31xx7wx7 said:
True Grit Farms":31xx7wx7 said:

Thanks, I hope not too, He is eating and appears healthy just hobbling around, so I'm thinking he slipped on or stepped on a rock. It's pretty rough in the field he has been in. I hope your bull does well, I like the idea of a Brangus bull. I would like my next bull to be a Brangus, but not many in this area, more Santa Gertrudis and Beefmasters for the available American breeds here.

Nothing wrong with taking a tax deductible road trip to bull shop.

We run flush brothers together all the time. They live together from the day they get of the trailer until they go to slaughter. They have an established pecking order and it works. Where you get into trouble is if the bulls don't have the pecking order figured out and they have to constantly fight.

Latest posts