Run Silencer squeeze chute with skid steer hydraulics?

Help Support CattleToday:

BrazosBottomHand

Reaction score
Can I run a Silencer squeeze chute with my skid steer hydraulic hookups? I have a Cat 272D2 (not hi-flow hydraulics). Or is the hydraulic pressure too high? If so is there any way to regulate pressure ? Thanks

Can I run a Silencer squeeze chute with my skid steer hydraulic hookups? I have a Cat 272D2 (not hi-flow hydraulics). Or is the hydraulic pressure too high? If so is there any way to regulate pressure ? Thanks
This would be for when I'm using it away from the house, like down the road at a lease place. Just trying to avoid buying a portable power unit if I can.

Definitely it can be done. Even without high flow hydraulics (for a skid steer) the flow rate might make your squeeze a little quick. You can moderate this (if it's a problem) by installing an adjustable valve that lets oil go from the pressure side to the return side. An added bonus would be that it'll also moderate maximum pressure as well. If the flow rate is fine and you need to limit pressure only you could install a relief valve in the same way. You need to know what the relief pressure is for that circuit on the skid steer and what max pressure for the squeeze is and set the relief. Maybe you'll get lucky and everything is already well matched or the squeeze already has a relief built in but you should check so you don't do any damage.

I know a guy that runs their For-most 750 with a JD 3020 when its out on pasture. Says the tractor just sets and idles, has plenty of flow.

The pressure in the skid steer should be no higher than a mobile power unit, but they will have a lot more flow.

I imagine you could feather the hydraulics to work it smooth and slow, if the auxiliaries in your machine are electronic it should have both a constant on/off for mowers and stuff, and a variable valve for grapples.

Thanks everybody. Ok I've got an update. The squeeze chute manufacturer says I need 10gpm of flow and too much psi shouldn't be an issue because the chute has a pressure release valve. Called the Cat dealership and the service department said minimum flow on my unit is about 10. He felt like running it at an idle would work fine, although he didn't seem to know for sure that the flow rate was going to be around 10 at an idle. I asked him if there's any way to tell what the flow is from the machine display And he said he'd look into it and call me right back (he didn't). Maybe I'm being a little paranoid but I would prefer to make sure it's running at the rate it was designed to run at. I think I'm going to look into buying a flow meter and/or regulator. Then again if I get distracted from this before I get one ordered, I'll probably just try it when the time comes.

Flow is what gives you speed. Set the SS idle speed to give you the desired speed of chute operation. If your used to how the chute operates it shouldn't be too hard to set the SS idle speed to match that performance.

I wouldn't spend money on a flow meter (expensive).......

I am seeing 23 GPM for a standard flow 272D, it probably is close to 10 at idle. Should be fine.

Latest posts