Run of Bad Luck Rant!

Help Support CattleToday:

ozarkbulls

Reaction score
If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all!
Last 3 months has been brutal: pnemonia, hemorragic e-coli, scours, hernias, pink eye, bloat...the list goes on and on.... Luckily out of about 100 steers this year I've only lost 3, but what a pain in the A@%!!!
My vet is gonna retire on the amount of NuFlor, excede, Exenel, baytril, and banamane I've bought from him!
Just been the last 3 months....huh, must be something in the air!
Had to rant just a bit....now off to see what kinda problems we got in the barn today!

I for one would like to hear more about your operation.

Your med program
Your feed program
How they are housed
What age they are?????????????????etc etc etc

ozarkbulls":ua5z89ez said:
Last 3 months has been brutal: pnemonia, hemorragic e-coli, scours, hernias, pink eye, bloat...the list goes on and on.... Luckily out of about 100 steers this year I've only lost 3, but what a pain in the A@%!!!
My vet is gonna retire on the amount of NuFlor, excede, Exenel, baytril, and banamane I've bought from him!
Had to rant just a bit....now off to see what kinda problems we got in the barn today!
have u tryed draxxin? it has worked the best 4 me.i used to use resflor but it was not nearly as effective and more $$ per dose and u had to retreat alot.

But on the positive side -- things could be worse!

It is that time of year where I reflect on those things that I would love to have but can't afford and the many things I do have that others do not.

I have cows that can be irritating, but I can sell them at any given moment for cash, others have nothing.
I have a home (that has issues now and again), but it is a roof over my head, others sleep in the cold.
I have a wonderful family (we put fun in dysfunctional every now and again) but I wouldn't trade them for anything and live alone.

Life is good. Look for the positive.

...now off to fix the stinkin' fences -- why is it that the blasted animals love to tear up fences when it's raining and windy, but don't touch them on nice sun shiny days?

everybodys got their own sack of rocks and there's dam few that would trade theirs for the other guy's sack............

3waycross":2brlvwbl said:

Your med program
Your feed program
How they are housed

SW Missouri, I get all the Holstein steers right off the dairy where I work at about 3-5 days old, couple of the angus have come from various locations, friends, neighbors, etc. (bought 2 heifers and a steer from "an-idiot" up the road, they wen't to the "hospital pen" they were so sick and lifeless, he damned near gave them away, round the clock care and untold meds brought all 3 back, and are doing excellent)

All the bottle calves are housed in individual pens in an enclosed barn, milk and free-choice water and 17% dairy calf starter. I don't push weaning too much in the winter, so some aren't weaned until a full 8-weeks. All are IBR vaccinated at the dairy before they leave. When weaned they move out to a semi-enclosed corral area. If they are going to be sold I vaccinate with what the customer requests.
Haven't tried the Draxxin ($$$) but the NuFlor has been working quite well so far. Just been the last few months have had problems, haven't changed any practices...Just the ups-and-downs of working with livestock!

tsmaxx47":1tfb2nq0 said:
everybodys got their own sack of rocks and there's dam few that would trade theirs for the other guy's sack............

True!! Things could be a LOT worse......I could own the dairy where I work!! :D

ozarkbulls":s0ydtlwm said:
3waycross":s0ydtlwm said:

Your med program
Your feed program
How they are housed

SW Missouri, I get all the Holstein steers right off the dairy where I work at about 3-5 days old, couple of the angus have come from various locations, friends, neighbors, etc. (bought 2 heifers and a steer from "an-idiot" up the road, they wen't to the "hospital pen" they were so sick and lifeless, he damned near gave them away, round the clock care and untold meds brought all 3 back, and are doing excellent)

All the bottle calves are housed in individual pens in an enclosed barn, milk and free-choice water and 17% dairy calf starter. I don't push weaning too much in the winter, so some aren't weaned until a full 8-weeks. All are IBR vaccinated at the dairy before they leave. When weaned they move out to a semi-enclosed corral area. If they are going to be sold I vaccinate with what the customer requests.
Haven't tried the Draxxin ($$$) but the NuFlor has been working quite well so far. Just been the last few months have had problems, haven't changed any practices...Just the ups-and-downs of working with livestock!
i know the draxxin seems high but if u compare cost per dose to nuflor it is actually cheaper.nuflor calls for 6 ml per 100lbs and draxxin calls for 1.1 and then u have to consider that draxxin is good for 7-14 days before u have to retreat,if u have to.nuflor only lasts a couple days and i always had to retreat at least once.if u do really like the nuflor u might want to consider resflor which is nuflor and banamine already mixed and not much more than nuflor plus just one injection.we sold some 300 lb holstein steers the other day and got $1.01 per lb.

ozarkbulls":1hqdau7x said:

Old timer told me once, "Got animals got problems" so simple and so true

Latest posts