Rule him out?

Help Support CattleToday:

Air gator

Reaction score
How quick would you be to rule out using an A.I. bull if you saw a handful of sons that had loose sheaths? There was a sale and there were videos for all the calves. There were a handful of sons and they all looked less than ideal. However, I have seen a heifer out of the same bull that was really good looking. How often do you lose a bull to problems related to his sheath?

Depends on the type of country you're in. I don't know if I would be quick to condemn the sire without seeing the cows his sons are out of. What breed?

Having grown up around, and cut my teeth working with Brahman-influenced, cattle... what Angus folks refer to as 'loose sheath'... it is to laugh.
Used one AN sire several years back that sired more or looser sheath than most, but by no means was there enough extra that I'd have had any concern about there being a functional problem or increased risk of damage, even if any of the sons had been kept intact.

Lucky_P":2g622l26 said:
Having grown up around, and cut my teeth working with Brahman-influenced, cattle... what Angus folks refer to as 'loose sheath'... it is to laugh.

YES.

I agree with those statements about Brahman influenced cattle, but several years ago, there did seem to be quite a few instances of those kinds of injuries in bulls in several herds around here, including a bull here. I haven't heard of that kind of problem much since that time period.

The polled trait is linked to absence or poor development of the retractor prepuce muscles. Even a 'tight-sheathed' Angus(or other polled breed) bull, may let preputial tissue 'hang out', where it can become damaged by briers, barbed wire, being stepped on, etc.
A little bit of extra sheath - while it may not be a desirable 'look', is not likely to be as much a problem as the fact that he's a polled breed bull.

Latest posts