Thawing out a frozen newborn

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, there is no reason you can't calve in winter temps, it all depends on if you are set up for it and are willing to put the work in. There are a lot of advantages to calving onto frozen ground. I'm not ambitious enough (or set up well enough) to calve January / February, but there are folks around here that do very well at it. We'll get our share of nasty calving weather in March, but at least in March I know the cold won't last that much longer.

Silver> You have 1500 miles on some of those guys and rightfully qualified your conditions. I got caught by the April blizzard a couple of years ago
when a 200 yard electric wire would have save 3 from drowning ,,,,my fault,,, The point is the middle of February is still winter (even in Texas)
I think we both know "if it can happen, it probably will....sometime" You do know they play Texas Hold'em down there!

I rate calving in the winter right up there with leaving the gate open along the highway.
We've been half heartedly attempting to move to fall calving for a couple of years now. Hate to miss six months without the income but this year has sealed the deal. Plenty of sunlight and decent temps to calve in between the first of September and beginning of November.

We've been half heartedly attempting to move to fall calving for a couple of years now. Hate to miss six months without the income but this year has sealed the deal. Plenty of sunlight and decent temps to calve in between the first of September and beginning of November.

I know theres a lot on here that dont like fall calving but it works for me. Well, I actually calve August/September ish.

This picture was taken in January and they aint bothered at all.
A2144691-7CD2-4EE3-A9F2-E32D08B8BA67.jpeg

Got another one calving right now and two more that keep acting like they just might go ahead and have theirs too. Supposed to drop another 1-3 inches of snow tonight starting around 1 AM. At least there's not supposed to be any wind. Hopefully I can get momma to follow me to the barn with the newborn and put them in some hay.

If it wasn't for my day job letting me work from home this week I'd be in trouble.

Latest posts