rubbing bald spot

Help Support CattleToday:

blackbaldie

Reaction score
got a 10 month old rubbing on the neck area and causing bald spots..she looks good as far a everything else and i don't think its mites or lice cause the rest of the herd is showing no sign of this..any info?! :???:

Is it just along the top of the neck? If so, do you feed in a hay ring or in any other type of feeder she sticks her head into? She might not be trying to rub it. Happens here sometimes.
If you're in a part of the world that has been really wet, could be a fungus like ringworm or something. It's been a bad year for ringworm in my neck of the woods. Very unusual to see them with it this time of year, but it's everywhere now.

well, im going to retreat the rubs at the barns,run them all thru the grate and drench them and spray the bald area with iodine(%10) that should cover lice mites and ringworms...they are due wormer in a couple months anyway ..

Sounds like lice to me too, but...
I've got a similar situation here. Pulled the bull from the cows 10 days ago, turned the cows and heifers out to stockpiled fescue. Within a day or so, a half-dozen coming-2 yr old heifers had rubbed big patches of hair off their neck/shoulders. Not a single adult cow, yearling heifer, or fall calf is affected, and they've all been running together for the entire winter. I've looked, and see no lice, and no 'greasy' appearance like those lousy cows usually have.
Still think it's a louse infestation, and I'll probably cut out those affected heifers this weekend and 'de-louse' 'em, but I'm not planning to run the whole herd through the chute right now - just started calving this weekend; too many heavy pregnant cows.

Latest posts