Spot the difference?

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes the ears were the first give away but I have seen baby calves with a new ear tag that sometimes look like that. Matter of fact I did one myself this year that made the calves ear droop. When it came close to the pens a month or so later I replaced it. I zoomed in on the head and that was the convincer. You can't see it very well until you zoom in but then you see that look that tells you they just aren't feeling well.

I hate to say it but I have seen it in my group much to often. Last year was bad. This year not so much but harder to detect as the calves did not have a cough and most did not have a runny nose and the ears were barely drooping. But they all have that look and not much spunk.

I used Inforce 3 this year and maybe they just didn't get as sick because of that or maybe it was just a different strain. I don't know but they all recovered fairly quick after treatment.

Yes the ears were the first give away but I have seen baby calves with a new ear tag that sometimes look like that. Matter of fact I did one myself this year that made the calves ear droop. When it came close to the pens a month or so later I replaced it. I zoomed in on the head and that was the convincer. You can't see it very well until you zoom in but then you see that look that tells you they just aren't feeling well.

I hate to say it but I have seen it in my group much to often. Last year was bad. This year not so much but harder to detect as the calves did not have a cough and most did not have a runny nose and the ears were barely drooping. But they all have that look and not much spunk.

I used Inforce 3 this year and maybe they just didn't get as sick because of that or maybe it was just a different strain. I don't know but they all recovered fairly quick after treatment.
We have been using PMH Once for about ten years and added Inforce three years ago. Most health issues are in our heifer's calves but a small percentage in the cow's calves also. At branding they will get vaccinated with Vision 8S and Bovishield Gold One Shot. Heifer's calves will also receive a Draxxin as once they go to range we don't see them daily and the Draxxin keeps them alive until the vaccine kicks in. We are using Resflor with success this year for these respiratory calves. What are you using?

I was using Zactran but it has not been available in small size bottles for over a year so the vet recommended Exceed. It seems to work well but is kind of a pain to put in the ear. I see now they are now recommending putting it at the base of the ear. Anyway I give them a three shot combo of the Exceed, Banamine (or a generic) and a vitamin selenium mix that a local vet has made. The combo has worked well.

I bought some sale barn 3 and 4 weight calves this year and gave them the Inforce 3, a seven way and Presponce. Only one of the group got sick and it was very mild and the above treatmeent had it kicking up its heals in about three days.

Neighbor quit using Inforce 3 and went to Nasalgen3 PMH. I know that last fall he was buying 500 pound heifers. They were getting Inforce3 along with other things. But he was still having a lot of sick calves. Probably the reason for the switch. At birth calves get a multi min and an 8 way with tetanus. At branding they get the Nasalgen, Ultrabac 8, and Bova Shield Gold.
I have Draxxin for sick calves but never had a sick calf this year. I only calved out 80 part of the reason for no sick calves. Neighbor calved out around 1,000. I know he uses some Draxxin and Zactran. His "calving vehicle" is a Jeep Cherokee. There is all sorts of stuff floating around inside that thing.

Yay, her head's up and not looking droopy! And agree, I prefer Resflor Gold over Draxxin or Baytril + Banamine. Seems to work faster and if you catch it early, one 'n done.

That said, I never had pneumonia problems at weaning until 2 years ago. Primarily because we got spanked with up/down temps & a ton of rain - both years. Calves bawled a couple days, all of them looked & acted great, then about 10 days later I was treating calves on a regular basis. And that's after adding Inforce 3 at birth to my "standard" Triangle 4+PH-K, a custom autogenous pinkeye & Covexin 8 at 3 months and Vista Once, Covexin 8 (and Lute for the heifers) at weaning. Oh, and worming.

Maybe worth it to hit 'em all with Draxxin at weaning?

Yay, her head's up and not looking droopy! And agree, I prefer Resflor Gold over Draxxin or Baytril + Banamine. Seems to work faster and if you catch it early, one 'n done.

That said, I never had pneumonia problems at weaning until 2 years ago. Primarily because we got spanked with up/down temps & a ton of rain - both years. Calves bawled a couple days, all of them looked & acted great, then about 10 days later I was treating calves on a regular basis. And that's after adding Inforce 3 at birth to my "standard" Triangle 4+PH-K, a custom autogenous pinkeye & Covexin 8 at 3 months and Vista Once, Covexin 8 (and Lute for the heifers) at weaning. Oh, and worming.

Maybe worth it to hit 'em all with Draxxin at weaning?
We started giving a Draxxin at branding and weaning several years ago. Losses to respiratory have gone from too many to only one that had other immune deficient problems last winter and nothing in our replacements the last couple years.

We sent 200 of our own heifer calves to a 7000 head lot in 2018 and 2019 along with several hundred we bought. The feedlot owners kept our heifers in a separate pen both winters and both winters they were the only pen in the lot including their own 750 home raised calves that had absolutely no pulls after induction. I guess we might be doing something right at home

Latest posts