Repost Covering Dehorning Spot

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
People said covering the spot where the horns were cut off with pine tar. One cow that had her horns cut off has holes several inches wide. Is there a cover to cover this up with while it grows over? My wifes nephew in Mexico said his doctor covers them after cutting. Anyone have input. Also my bet had me wash them out with iodine. All of it cam out the nose. Is this harmful in any way? One of them was infected.

Our retired vet friend stuffs the holes with some gauze and iodine when he does the dairy animals that I get sometimes that are older. Also did a 4 yr old hol/jer nurse cow that decided to be a b*** with her horns on a younger cow. He took baling twine, tied it around the horns at the base as tight as he could get it, took them off, them pulled the bleeders? out , then stuffed the gauze in it, put iodine on it, told me to leave the baling string on for 1-2 days and watch for infection. I sprayed with bluecoat spray to discourage screw-worms, cut the baling string off and the gauze came out on it's own about a week-10 days later. Assume the baling string cuts the circulation/bleeding way back. Also, we never do them until the last quarter of the moon, and not until fly season is pretty much over...like late oct/nov or before the first of april. I also give them an antibiotic shot when I take the baling twine off in case of infection and in case I can't get them in for a couple of days.

Latest posts