Roundup isn´t working

Help Support CattleToday:

tytower

Reaction score
Have a read of this !!
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/04/busin ... 4weed.html

Well I knew the chemicals weren´t working for me .Killed the weeds to ground level but the roots didn´t die .
They came back the next year.

Latest one is Brazilian Verdane -stalky plant grows to about 6 foot , tiny blue flowers , starts setting viable seed at about a foot high . Cattle like it and spread it . Worst I have ever seen.

Did my paddocks with Roundup last year thoroughly and I have new shoots growing from old roots with dead shoots alongside where it died back after spraying. New shoots are thriving . Total waste of time and money .

I am back to a hoe , and its the only thing I will trust to do the job now . Hiring labour to hoe it out.
Brazilan Verdane - Bloody murder !!

Here is a post in a thread I did in 2007 -so tell me I´m wrong
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33241

Australia has 7 states and one of them ,South Australia has been holding out and banning GM corn and other seed . Right at this moment the chemical companies are engaged in trying to push GM seed into S.A. regardless of the chaos they are creating in the States. Just so they can sell more chemicals !

I wish reporters would do a better job of writing those types of articles. They make it sound like the end of the world is near. There are many different chemistries out there. If you are finding resistance problems (and even before you get to that point) switch chemistries!!!! This isn't rocket science. All that soybean farmer had to do was use a different herbicide. It seems the general public wants blame all of this on GMO crops so we can phase them out.

I think anyone who thinks one chemical will eliminate The Curse of Eve is dreaming. Nature is resilant and hates a vaccum. We will be fighting nature till the end as was promised.

You have to factor US politics into this, Ty. The NYTimes is a leading critic of modern agriculture. Monsanto personifies modern agriculture.
Roundup has always had weaknesses, Giant Ragweed being notable.
This is mostly about the Times getting a point made against Monsanto's cash cow.

One problem with Roundup(glyphosate) is that people think it is supposed to kill everything. It isn;t and doesn;t. For woddy stemmed type of plants some Remedy mixed into the Roundup will be a lot more effective. Using to much in the mixture (if a little is good a lot must be better syndrome) is just as bad. Burns off the ops and doesn;t allow the stuff to get to the roots effectively.

There has always been plenty of stuff that roundup won't kill. It is however a non-selective herbicide. A field you are trying to grow grass in is generally not a good place to use roundup. There are several selective herbicides that I expect would kill the vervaine without killing any grass. Consider Remedy, Surmount, or Weedmaster if they are available in Australia. These are all labeled for pasture use and I have labels on all three and I'll check tomorrow to see if the vervaine is listed.

Glyphosphate-based herbicides all work on the same biochemical principle -- they inhibit a specific enzyme that plants need in order to grow. The specific enzyme is called EPSP synthase. Without that enzyme, plants are unable to produce other proteins essential to growth, so they yellow and die over the course of several days or weeks. A majority of plants use this same enzyme, so almost all plants succumb to Roundup.

Here's the kicker. If plants are not growing it will not kill them. In periods of drought when plants are putting all there available energy into there roots as a form of survival, they are not growing and Roundup will not kill them. You can spray your pasture in the early spring when the weeds are taking off but it is not quite warm enough for the bermuda to start growing and it is quite effective at killing the weeds but will not hurt the bermuda.

Vervain is listed on the Surmount label. I've used it but not for vervain. It worked as advertised for what I used it for- horsenettles and prickly pears. It's labeled for pasture use. Chemical costs about $10-$15/acre.

ga.prime":f7d40yom said:
Vervain is listed on the Surmount label. I've used it but not for vervain. It worked as advertised for what I used it for- horsenettles and prickly pears. It's labeled for pasture use. Chemical costs about $10-$15/acre.
And don;t spray it under trees you want to live. It's the surest thing I've found for blackberries.

dun":1e5d53mu said:
ga.prime":1e5d53mu said:
And don;t spray it under trees you want to live. It's the surest thing I've found for blackberries.
Good advice. It's got picloram in it which will kill trees of all kinds through the roots. If you spray near trees you don't want dead, better go real light on it. Read label for more info.

ga.prime":2sjrgbir said:
dun":2sjrgbir said:
ga.prime":2sjrgbir said:
Good advice. It's got picloram in it which will kill trees of all kinds through the roots. If you spray near trees you don't want dead, better go real light on it. Read label for more info.
That read the label part is most important and most people don't do a good enough job on that part.

BC":1gzqxlx0 said:
That read the label part is most important and most people don't do a good enough job on that part.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: A car salesman here learned that after spraying his sweet corn with Roundup. :lol2: :lol2:

Yep it has both names-this image is nt quite right . Mine has smaller seed heads and tiny purple flowers
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl= ... CCoQ9QEwAw

john250":5vy11vhy said:
You have to factor US politics into this, Ty. The NYTimes is a leading critic of modern agriculture. Monsanto personifies modern agriculture.
Roundup has always had weaknesses, Giant Ragweed being notable.
This is mostly about the Times getting a point made against Monsanto's cash cow.

This I didn´t know .Too busy doing the crossword .Dam its hard

Thanks for all the comments there´s some good ones there
GDay Jo
upfrombottom on the enzyme -hard to get this easy explain elsewhere
ga-prime -I´ll see if I can find ¨Surmount¨

Nowland Farms":3jxsgu04 said:
Jogeephus":3jxsgu04 said:
Whoever comes up with something that will kill pigweed and not cotton is going to be very wealthy.

Joo, I just read the following this morning and thought of your comment here in this thread -
http://deltafarmpress.com/cotton/new-herbicide-resistance-technology-0804/

Thanks, good article. That technology will surely be welcomed here as our pigweed seems to think roundup is a fertilizer. What impressed me is the 2,4-D resistant cotton strain. That must have been quite a feat coming up with that. I wonder what the technology fee is going to be for this. Wish I'd invented it.

john250":1o2lt6sx said:

Monsanto's cash cow no longer exists. The generic roundups have crippled their roundup business significantly, and is the main reason they are not hitting their earnings per share.

Latest posts