Working a odd shaped field.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I've planted oats in this field a couple of times for grazing. And haygrazer this year. Gonna start cutting it in the morning. Always seems to take twice or more time to disc and drill. Cutting and raking I expect to be worse. The circle of live oak in the center is approx 150' across so it figures in to strategy.
Anybody got ideas on the best way to attack it.

Thanks
Fence

My personal opinion. Probably worth what it costs you....
I'd make 3 or 4 passes along the three curved sides then cut it down the long straight side and work parallel to the straight side like I was running a planter planting a row crop. Shouldn't have to back up at the ends, just pick cutter up slightly, turn, and go again Just my thoughts

4-6 passes all the way around the outside so you have room to turn around, and then go back and forth parallel with the long side. You're gonna run over some hay, and have a couple triangles, but that's how I'd do it. Long straight rows are easier to rake and bale.

Some prefer to just mow around and around in a circle working towards the center, but I don't really care for it, and you won't be able to make that tight south corner without turning around.

Ive got some odd shaped ones too. When we had side delivery rakes I'd cut them in pieces. Make a couple rounds then chop them up. Now that I have center delivery rakes but not an articulating cutter, I just cut around the patch. I don't worry about cutting clean corners, after I'm done I go back and clean them up on the diagonal. Same way with what's missed raking. The real sharp corners I just cut them out, pick up and turn around. Those make raking interesting when working by myself. Usually rake two rounds then bale two rounds. Just the nature of the beast.

On the trees, I circle them twice when I get to them then maneuver around like you would mowing a yard.

I would do it exactly the same as Atimm said. I have a similar field but in my case it's easier to strike it out down the middle after the outside rounds are done and work to the outsides.

8XGtM1N.jpg

Latest posts