Planting time after roundup

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
Ok so I just bought a hardi boom sprayer. The plan is to roundup old hayfields tomorrow around 15 acres. The fields were already cut and we got rain so they should be regrowing. The plan was to notill sudangrass around wednesday or thursday. My fertilizer guy from growmark said thats fine and so did a neighbor. I have one neighbor that swears I gotta wait at least two weeks before no tilling the sudangrass. I am using hayking sudangrass if anyone has any opinions on it. Also should I fertilize before or after notilling. Thanks Mike.

I'm not aware of roundup having any soil activity and to the best of my knowledge roundup has done its thing in just a couple of hours its just that the plant don't know it yet. As for the fertilizer, I think it would depend on what you are putting out. Myself, I would put out the P and K and minors and no more than 50 lbs of N then come back with the rest of the N once its established good.

Jogeephus":n6s1di92 said:
I'm not aware of roundup having any soil activity and to the best of my knowledge roundup has done its thing in just a couple of hours its just that the plant don't know it yet. As for the fertilizer, I think it would depend on what you are putting out. Myself, I would put out the P and K and minors and no more than 50 lbs of N then come back with the rest of the N once its established good.

I'll second that.
Had a bud that accidentally sprayed his wife's flower with roundup and washed them down good with water about 15 minutes later. Too late, fast acting stuff. Also, had an expert tell me he would not, absolutely not, spray roundup within 50' of a tomato plant.

lynnmcmahan":31ajogmb said:
Jogeephus":31ajogmb said:

I'll second that.
Had a bud that accidentally sprayed his wife's flower with roundup and washed them down good with water about 15 minutes later. Too late, fast acting stuff. Also, had an expert tell me he would not, absolutely not, spray roundup within 50' of a tomato plant.
Your expert must have been confusing glyphosate with another chemical. Glyphosate is non volatile. I apply glyphosate within 2 feet of tomatoes every year without incident.

inbredredneck":2mtf8j1q said:
lynnmcmahan":2mtf8j1q said:
Jogeephus":2mtf8j1q said:

I'll second that.
Your expert must have been confusing glyphosate with another chemical. Glyphosate is non volatile. I apply glyphosate within 2 feet of tomatoes every year without incident.[/

Confused, no. There's difference between spray and apply.

You can plant immediately after spraying roundup. You can even spray roundup after planting as long as what you have planted hasn't sprouted yet and it will have no effect on what you planted. It really doesn't matter how fast acting it is because you can't wash it off once it's on something. I spray it under my tomatoes too. Just need to keep the spray nozzle close to the ground and keep it low pressure to avoid mist. I killed a bunch of grass like that under my tomatoes and they were looking great until a few days later a herd of deer came in and ate the tomatoes leaf, stem, and everything.

ga.prime":2yan15gy said:
You can plant immediately after spraying roundup. You can even spray roundup after planting as long as what you have planted hasn't sprouted yet and it will have no effect on what you planted. It really doesn't matter how fast acting it is because you can't wash it off once it's on something. I spray it under my tomatoes too. Just need to keep the spray nozzle close to the ground and keep it low pressure to avoid mist. I killed a bunch of grass like that under my tomatoes and they were looking great until a few days later a herd of deer came in and ate the tomatoes leaf, stem, and everything.
I spray it under my wifes tomatos too with no ill affects. In a field I usually wait a week or so to plant but that's mostly to let the stuff that's killed wilt and shorten up so the new planting doesn;t get shaded.

lynnmcmahan":35nipmlp said:
Confused, no. There's difference between spray and apply.
Could you please tell us the difference, because spraying glyphosate is a approved method of application. That kinda makes it the same in my book, that would be why I spray it.

cow pollinater":3iqwhlq7 said:
"spray" implies drift. Drift of roundup will kill nontarget plants.
What are you spraying with an airplane? My god if it is drifting more than 2 feet that is no fault of the glyphosate, the man running the sprayer should not be allowed to operate the sprayer any longer. If you have 50 feet of drift the operator of the sprayer should be shot on the spot. Thats just plain ass stupidity.

inbredredneck":3vp4rbpd said:
cow pollinater":3vp4rbpd said:
What are you spraying with an airplane? My god if it is drifting more than 2 feet that is no fault of the glyphosate, the man running the sprayer should not be allowed to operate the sprayer any longer. If you have 50 feet of drift the operator of the sprayer should be shot on the spot. Thats just plain ass stupidity.

Hey guys, I'm really sorry that I brought this up. Believe me I would NOT want body shot over killing a tomato and I really like tomatoes.

lynnmcmahan":mplqgl1v said:
inbredredneck":mplqgl1v said:
cow pollinater":mplqgl1v said:

Hey guys, I'm really sorry that I brought this up. Believe me I would NOT want body shot over killing a tomato and I really like tomatoes.
Unfortunately there are people that will take your comment about not spraying glyphosate within 50' of a tomato to be the truth, and before you know it they have called the cops on someone else for killing their tomatos, then they must defend themselves in court for no reason. People are niave and will believe anything they hear.

inbredredneck":257zv1nd said:
cow pollinater":257zv1nd said:

I'm fairly experienced with Roundup. It is an absolutely phenomenal tool, when you study the label. It is a++ on Johnsongrass, and I have that scourge. 1.5% solution is effective and $efficient on a great number of problem weeds. No, I don't sell it or represent it. I would hate to lose
Roundup and I'd hate to lose 2,4-d. Those keep my fencerows clean and the Canada Thistle at bay.

It might be worth pointing out that if you plant young fruit trees along your fence rows then its a good idea to remember this if you spray your fence rows with roundup cause it will do a dandy job killing apples, pears and figs. :oops:

Jogeephus":6yha4bly said:
It might be worth pointing out that if you plant young fruit trees along your fence rows then its a good idea to remember this if you spray your fence rows with roundup cause it will do a dandy job killing apples, pears and figs. :oops:
It will also kill Redbuds, wife discovered that this year

Roundup (41%) is a great product but is very expensive. Here, at $40.00 for about 3 pints. Evidently the patent has expired since we can now buy 41% (eraser) for $37.50/2.5 gallons. Another told me that the generic version was not guaranteed. Must have a friend that sold roundup :D

I am not saying this to be 100% true everywhere, but I have never seen a glyphosate product in my area without some type of gaurantee.

Latest posts