Planting time after roundup

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":j62b240i said:
ga.prime":j62b240i said:
41% glyphosate is $10/gallon here. I don't know about guarantees, I just know it works.

Where are you buying it ga.prime? Do you apply just the same as Roundup?

Thanks,

TT
Yes, you apply it the same as Roundup that is 41% glyphosate. They're the same thing. But, you can get Roundup in concentrations other than 41%. I buy the generic 41% glyphosate in 30 gallon drums for $300 at the local seed, chemical, and fertilizer dealer- Griffins Inc. They have a different name brand just about every time I buy it- Honcho Plus, Credit Extra, Glyphos Extra, etc. The plus and the extra means they have a surfactant in them. If you buy it in 2.5 gallon jugs it'll be more than $10/gallon.

From what I've heard the guarantees relate to the "roundup-ready" plants such as corn and soybeans. Were told that we could use the Honcho as our burndown before planting, but to use Roundup after everything had come up b/c if something bad happened, the seed companies would only warranty post-emergence application with Roundup and not a generic brand.

BL

Lawson Farms":3ghhiblh said:
From what I've heard the guarantees relate to the "roundup-ready" plants such as corn and soybeans. Were told that we could use the Honcho as our burndown before planting, but to use Roundup after everything had come up b/c if something bad happened, the seed companies would only warranty post-emergence application with Roundup and not a generic brand.

BL
I have a hard time believing that Dupont will only guarantee their seed if you use a monsanto chemical product.

When I was first told that, we were using Syngenta or N. King seeds. I didn't want to find out the hard way if it was true, I justed used Honcho for burndown and Roundup for the follow up spray. That year, roundup costs here were elevated. The following year, their prices had fallen to not significantly more than Honcho. We sprayed just Roundup and no Honcho last year and so far this year.

BL

Lawson Farms":2hbvymlm said:
When I was first told that, we were using Syngenta or N. King seeds. I didn't want to find out the hard way if it was true, I justed used Honcho for burndown and Roundup for the follow up spray. That year, roundup costs here were elevated. The following year, their prices had fallen to not significantly more than Honcho. We sprayed just Roundup and no Honcho last year and so far this year.

BL
Seems odd syngenta would tell you to use a Monsanto chemical before they would gaurantee their own seed, especially when they were marketing their own chemical Touchdown as a superior product compared to roundup. Something smells foul here, are you sure you should be trusting the person you get your info from?

I trust him as much as I can any salesman :) ... But I do generally trust his information on seed varieties for our area as well as herbicide/pesticide application. I just assumed that the HOncho and Roundup worked in different ways. And, during planting season, I took him at his word b/c I didn't want the headache of crop losses that WE caused by using the wrong chemical application. I've been there and done that. Mother Nature makes it hard enough. That was the only year that we've sprayed alot of "non-roundup" glyphosate.

Lawson Farms":yus6u6qp said:
I trust him as much as I can any salesman :) ... But I do generally trust his information on seed varieties for our area as well as herbicide/pesticide application. I just assumed that the HOncho and Roundup worked in different ways. And, during planting season, I took him at his word b/c I didn't want the headache of crop losses that WE caused by using the wrong chemical application. I've been there and done that. Mother Nature makes it hard enough. That was the only year that we've sprayed alot of "non-roundup" glyphosate.
I personally would verify everything he tells you with a third party. From this side of the fence the individual seems to be less than educated in herbicides. No chemical company is going to recommend you use the competitors product over their own.

So now that its three weeks after planting heres the deal. You definitely have to roundup the field before no-tilling a field. The areas that were missed barely came up. Germination was good most places. Its about 8-24 inches high now. I fertilized with 50-30-50 when I planted. I was told to split the nitrogen but places I drove over while checking the field havent really come back and most died. I only have a nh5050 tractor so putting more fert out now would crush 3' with every pass. I wanna know is it worth it if every pass crushes 10 percent of the grass. I mean how much more production will the extra 50 lbs of n get me.

If it were me and I'd already put out 50 lbs of N I wouldn't put any more out till I saw whether or not the cows could graze what is in front of them. If they are grazing it well and the color and quality starts to wane then I'd apply another dose. That stuff can get ahead of you real easy if you aren't careful then you have other expenses. I wouldn't worry about running over it cause you will do very little damage. JMO

I am actually cutting it for hay. I didnt know how much the yield would be affected without the extra nitrogen at 60 bucks an acre.