round bale unroller

Help Support CattleToday:

SALTBRANCH2

Reaction score
Anyone use the one where you put 2 rim/tires on a small axle mounted on fron tof truck or tractor to push and unroll a bale? Work?

SALTBRANCH2":3suwjr4f said:
Anyone use the one where you put 2 rim/tires on a small axle mounted on fron tof truck or tractor to push and unroll a bale? Work?
M5 build some kind of hay unroller for his front loader.

True Grit Farms":qmvf8icj said:
SALTBRANCH2":qmvf8icj said:
M5 build some kind of hay unroller for his front loader.
I was trying to remember that thread as well. It either used the front tractor tire as well or had a separate tire that assisted in the rolling.

Unless you are just needing a project, why would you do it? New they are about $1000, used $500 to 700.

They are expensive for what they are but my time is valuable and I would rather have something that works well and is safe for me the tractor and the cows. They are quick and simple to hook up or unhook. Besides that, you need a three point hookup to get the bale where you want to unroll it.

I could easily build one but you need 6' of this and 5' of that of heavy wall tube and flat bar. If you have the material, go for it but if you have to buy 20' lengths, you arn't going to save much.

Put a "want to buy" ad on Craigslist and see what pops up.

I generally use the front tire on the tractor.
Or push em with the front bumper of the truck. You'll leave a pretty good size core. So what.
I was going to build one like fives that would go in the hitch receiver on a ranch hand front bumper. Never got to it.

There was a guy (name escapes me) on Ranchers that spent about $50 on parts to install a small wheel and axle out the side of his bale forks. Worked very well apparently. I think I may have saved a picture of it because I thought I might try it someday. If I can find it I'll post it.

Found it.
sffbb7.jpg

You can buy them for a 3pt as well. Works pretty much like a Deweze bed.

I have seen people just make a T that slips in the front receiver hitch on a bumper. The long part is square tubing and the part that pushes the bale is just a tubing or round pipe. It doesn't even roll.

I've gotten away from unrolling bales like that. Too many close calls with hay under the truck where it doesn't belong or getting a bunch of junk in the radiators. Have no problem doing it with the tractor... just not my truck or mule and more.

It was something I saw doing a google search along with the one jltrent posted. I thought maybe someone here may have done this once or twice. I always see folks talking about unrolling bales and wondered

callmefence":bqf5x2kt said:
Thats very similar to m5s roller.

Yes, similar concept, difference being that this deal is on the loader that is equipped with bale forks. My thoughts were that for $50 worth of parts it would be worth the try. Someday I will.

SALTBRANCH2":3kq07zdc said:
It was something I saw doing a google search along with the one jltrent posted. I thought maybe someone here may have done this once or twice. I always see folks talking about unrolling bales and wondered

It works good just be mindful you have some real hot hot exhaust over a pile of prime kindling. Its funny how easy it is to kind of get stuck in the hay.

I dropped a bale off one time and was pushing it with the truck. I actually started getting stuck amd was right on top of all that hay. There was smoke and I wasn't moving... it was a bad feeling. Ended up getting out but that was enough of that for me.

Now I use all hay rings but my dad still unrolls theirs quite a bit. I will park on the side of a hill at the top with their trailer and go ahead and cut the strings while the bales are still on the trailer. Ill flip that first layer apart to kind of start the "peel". You can tie the strings to the trailer and dump the bales. A lot of times you can get them rolling fast enough to unroll themselves down the hill.

The good thing about unrolling is if you use coastal, tifton, or jiggs hay it will plant itself as the cows stomp it in.

I use the rings but read about everyone unrolling., and curious about it but not 8k hay bed kind of curious. I could use the FEL and see what it does

SALTBRANCH2":27co6ntb said:
I use the rings but read about everyone unrolling., and curious about it but not 8k hay bed kind of curious. I could use the FEL and see what it does

We unrolled hay with the FEL for many years here. Works just fine when you get the hang of it. Went through a period of using a Haybuster, but now we are quite happy with the 3 point unroller.
Gcreek has the best looking bale unroller I've seen, custom built but if he were to post a picture of it you could aim to have one built or build yourself if it ends up you want to go that route.

Latest posts