Round bale trailer

Help Support CattleToday:

rgv

Reaction score
OK -

I think i'm going to build a round bale trailer. I think i prefer the ones that will stack two wide. Most hauling is within 5 miles.
I have seen these one advertised that hold them in a row but seems like the trailer has to be preety long to get 6 or more rolls on it. Like the idea of being able to load and not have to strap everyting ( Bales tilted in etc).
Any pic's or design would be appreciated

RGV

rgv":2s5t6x4d said:
OK -

I think i'm going to build a round bale trailer. I think i prefer the ones that will stack two wide. Most hauling is within 5 miles.
I have seen these one advertised that hold them in a row but seems like the trailer has to be preety long to get 6 or more rolls on it. Like the idea of being able to load and not have to strap everyting ( Bales tilted in etc).

RGV

For our short hauls field to the feedlot and things anything under 8 miles we use homemade trailers instead of the semi flatbeds. We used 10 ton running gears from old grain gravity flow wagons. We stretched the running gears reach out to 13.5 feet then we placed on the running gear a 21' long 8" x 8" square beam that used to be a moldboard plow frame. Ontop of that we welded 10 3" oil well pipes 12 feet wide. And we welded those pipes in sets of 2 three feet apart from each other. And the next set of two pipes we welded 4.5 feet from the center to the center of the first set. You would place the bales three wide into the cradles made by the two pipes welded 3 feet apart. All total on that trailer we get 15 bales one layer high or 27 bales two high. Our bales are 4x5 if you had 5x6 bales just change dimensions accordingly. Old gravity flow running gears are almost a give away item around this area as are moldboard plows. Our only expenses is the welding rods and the oil pipes. I think the 12 bale wagon might be around here somewhere I will try to remember to get a picture.

rgv":fyq9fmmb said:
OK -

RGV
I bought a 16 foot bumper pull utility trailer. I welded pipe across the top rails of the bales. The pipes were positioned to haul 4 4 X 4 bales on each side with six on top of the eight bales. This is a total of 14 bales.

Neighbor bought an old single wide house trailer and stripped it the frame, weled a frame on it for hauling hay. He gets 14 or so bales on the bottom 2 rows then stacks more on top. His problem is his truck, not sure what it is other then a BIG chevy with 4wd, sometimes has problems with hills whith that load.

dun