Rough Morning

Help Support CattleToday:

I get certified in the BQA also, but because we use killed virus vaccines, we cannot participate in some of the different sale program incentives. Still, just in case getting certified is not a big deal and sometimes you learn something new, and get to socialize with other producers.

Can't ship a bull with a broken leg. Sometimes you have to put them down.
Different here. They will kill as long as they are still walking ok. Might not bring much because they know they have you in a bind. I sold one in 2019 with a bone stocking out for 800 but sold straight to slaughter not through the stock yard

A .22 is enough to drop a bull, but there's no margin for error. Can't use hollow points; they won't make it through the skull.

Our Beef Code of Practice in Canada requires us to use a gun with 300ft/lbs of muzzle energy. .22 is just over 100ft/lbs. Regardless I'm not sure why you'd use a gun with no margin of error when in most cases something else is available. Humans are prone to error.

Different here. They will kill as long as they are still walking ok. Might not bring much because they know they have you in a bind. I sold one in 2019 with a bone stocking out for 800 but sold straight to slaughter not through the stock yard

We can't even legally load an animal with a broken leg in Canada. The Code of Practice basically says you can't unless they're in good condition and you expect them to arrive in the same condition they left in. Broken leg is specified as a reason not to transport.

Not saying sh*t doesn't happen anyway but it's not how we're "supposed" to operate here.

Our Beef Code of Practice in Canada requires us to use a gun with 300ft/lbs of muzzle energy. .22 is just over 100ft/lbs. Regardless I'm not sure why you'd use a gun with no margin of error when in most cases something else is available. Humans are prone to error.

We can't even legally load an animal with a broken leg in Canada. The Code of Practice basically says you can't unless they're in good condition and you expect them to arrive in the same condition they left in. Broken leg is specified as a reason not to transport.

Not saying sh*t doesn't happen anyway but it's not how we're "supposed" to operate here.
I totally expect that here soon. Ours have to be in good condition and walking on their own. And no meds. We can sell on the rail about 75 miles away but sometimes I just meet the buyer and get cash. I like cash.

I totally expect that here soon. Ours have to be in good condition and walking on their own. And no meds. We can sell on the rail about 75 miles away but sometimes I just meet the buyer and get cash. I like cash.
Cash is good. Untraceable.

Lots around here will just euthanize and we have the local butcher come to hang and grind. He's pretty good about emergencies. We're fussy - if it's all sweated up and stressed we just take the loss. No sense pissing off friends, family and neighbors w/ a bunch of bad burger.

Not saying I'd recommend it, just that it's possible. Our local processor uses a .22 for every animal that comes in, including bulls. All of them are restrained in a chute, though, so they can't move around much and he's not at any distance.

That is amazing. Each state has its own rules, but that makes little sense.
It isn't the state. It is an association that has it's own set of rules of what vaccines need to be used, certain type of eartags to show that we are following the protocol..... I get that they are marketing cattle that come from several different producers and they give guarantees to the buyers.... part of the assoc fee we pay goes towards a "kitty" that will pay for something that the buyer finds not right.... like a heifer that is supposed to be open and winds up bred.... there are certain rules/guidelines we have to follow to sell our animals in these sales... The sales are usually telemarketed and get a larger audience/group of buyers.
But for the things they require, and the fact that we do not have a good place to wean and keep the calves AWAY from other animals that do not get the live virus vaccine, and the difference in prices received compared to what we get at the weekly stockyard sale... it has not been of benefit to us. Many in this area "trailer wean" because they do not have the fences and facilities to wean and hold for 45 days.... we didn't used to, until we rented from the widow of our friend. And since we do some buying and selling, it gets complicated...
And I am adamantly against MLV (vaccines). Have had a few abort that I feel were most likely from contact with mlv vaccinated calves, years ago.... have had some calves get sick shortly after vaccination with mlv.... coincidence or not... we have not had one bit of problem with the killed virus vaccinated cows....can't count pulling a calf due to any vaccine.... and we often vaccinate when they go through the chute for preg check, and killed vaccines do not cause abortion.
With us buying and selling some animals the last 2 years, it just is better for us to use the killed... and if something comes in with a resp problem, and we haven't picked up on it, the killed starts the response and if we treat, they seem to get better quicker. We had a few snotty noses and a couple with heavy breathing that we had to treat about a month ago... the ones here that had been here for about a month prior to that were fine, the newly brought in ones from 2 weeks earlier got some symptoms...they all got 5 days of aureomycin crumbles and we treated about 5 through the chute.

Just doesn't seem to fit our system.

Can't ship a bull with a broken leg. Sometimes you have to put them down.
Wouldn't do for me to run up on a sob that would leave an animal in pain with a broke leg, load it up, transport it to a sale, knowing the animal is a day or more away from a processor.

Latest posts