Rough week

Help Support CattleToday:

Last year we ended up with 2 calves more than we had cows. This year we have 3 cows more than calves, so far. When we have twins, we always think, well if something bad happens, we'll splice one on the cow. NOPE- none this year.
Our first 20 calves came without a hic-up.
We have had another heifer & a bull calf born last night & today. Down to 4 head. Due 10th, 23rd & Mar 2 & 6 (guessing on the last two.) Will be ready to wean our 10 fall calves pretty quick. Needed to get thru the bulk of the calving for the empty barn space.

No matter how hard we try, we will never kill them all.

Every one hurts though.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Allenw - I wish it would stay FROZEN. This warming, thawing, rain, then subzero is going to kill ME, let alone these poor calves. One day we're freezing, can't put enough clothes on, then we're stripping our clothes off trying to work.
And I said we were down to 5, but I lied - have 6 left.

Haven't made it to subzero here but flirted with it last week, be pushing 60 this week. I put off weanining calves for longer then I should have because of all the up and down weather.

Jeanne hate to read about your luck. Ot has been a roller coaster hear. Had dense fog again this morning. Today was beautiful. Pulled 2 bulls today. Have got a few calves where the neighbors bull got in. The rest should start in 7-10 days. Will wean a few tomorrow and pull the last bull. The weather will change next week so trying to get things done while the weather is nice. Had some rain this afternoon.

Right now, it has been ideal. Teens at night and hitting low 30's during the day. It would perfect if it would stay like that rest of winter!!! Supposed to get 6-8" of snow tomorrow. That would be even better because the ground is almost bare right now. The snow acts as an insulator - gives them a good bedding.

Latest posts