Roping A Deer

Help Support CattleToday:

If you hit it hard enough you won;t even have to stop and pick it up

Angus Cowman":1gaxkmlh said:
Do ya call that deer processing or what

I read the story about roping the deer a couple months ago and then like now I see some holes in this story and I don't really beleive it

I guess I would have to see to beleive that it happened this way

You should see the rest of the pictures, nasty looking

dun":slpm1zas said:
Angus Cowman":slpm1zas said:
Do ya call that deer processing or what

I read the story about roping the deer a couple months ago and then like now I see some holes in this story and I don't really beleive it

I guess I would have to see to beleive that it happened this way

You should see the rest of the pictures, nasty looking
I have seen them, at 140mph he was lucky that is all it did

Back when I was still in high school and doing so much steer work, the one of the things I said to the kids was 'dont ever let go' if they run away, because boy I have learnt the hard way how difficult they are to break in if they get away.

Anyway, I must have said it more than I thought to them, because one day I had them leading the steers out on the football field, and one of them took off like lightening. The kid that was leading him, promptly lost his footing and landed hard on his belly, arms straight out in front of him, the steer is tearing around dragging this kid behind him and the kid is lying there screaming to me 'I'M NOT LETTING GO! I'M NOT LETTING GO!'. The steer then headed home for his stall, well the gate to our little complex was open but right in the middle was this great big rock that no one had yet managed to move. And the steer, well he could go around it, but this kid was heading, well, head first for it. And this rock was BIG, bigger than the kid. So he's yelling 'I'M NOT LETTING GO!' when we all started shouting 'LET GO! LET GO! LET GO!'

Kid ended up letting go before the rock, still not sure whether he heard us, saw the rock or just couldnt hang on any longer :D

Age 16, Truck Yellow 1949, midnight on a gravel road.
Buddy and I hit a nice little buck. The deer was under
the truck a kicking and banging the under carriage. I
jump out, open my old case pocket knife, and yell for
my buddy to back the truck up as I held onto the horns.
Big mistake. In just seconds I had deer tracks all over me,
my shirt was almost gone and, the deer had pawed holes
in my jeans. I was glad when the deer finally turned me loose.
We looked for two days before finding the knife.
R.T.

If you have never roped a bobcat you have never had and fun. Many years ago running the traps on horseback had a bobcat decided to rope it and was going to take it into town which was about 1/2 mile away got the rope on it the drag loose on the trap scared the horse and me on the horse and just could barley keep the cat off both of us the relief finally came when the cat broke its neck.

Keren":3l1y686o said:
Back when I was still in high school and doing so much steer work, the one of the things I said to the kids was 'dont ever let go' if they run away, because boy I have learnt the hard way how difficult they are to break in if they get away.

Anyway, I must have said it more than I thought to them, because one day I had them leading the steers out on the football field, and one of them took off like lightening. The kid that was leading him, promptly lost his footing and landed hard on his belly, arms straight out in front of him, the steer is tearing around dragging this kid behind him and the kid is lying there screaming to me 'I'M NOT LETTING GO! I'M NOT LETTING GO!'. The steer then headed home for his stall, well the gate to our little complex was open but right in the middle was this great big rock that no one had yet managed to move. And the steer, well he could go around it, but this kid was heading, well, head first for it. And this rock was BIG, bigger than the kid. So he's yelling 'I'M NOT LETTING GO!' when we all started shouting 'LET GO! LET GO! LET GO!'

Kid ended up letting go before the rock, still not sure whether he heard us, saw the rock or just couldnt hang on any longer :D
Memo to self: Be very careful about taking advice from Keren. Sometimes her directions can be easily misunderstood.

Dun, I am supposed to thank you for posting this. I emailed to hubby last night and he said that is one of the best stories he has read in a long time..

So thank you for the chuckle.. :tiphat:

Latest posts