Rolling up electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":4utv66lc said:
Never realized rolling up electric fence wire was such a complicated operation.
Ain't none of us said our ways of doing it wuz complicated TB--dunno where you got that from.

greybeard":tsoq73vk said:
TexasBred":tsoq73vk said:
Ain't none of us said our ways of doing it wuz complicated TB--dunno where you got that from.
Maybe I just didn't realize there were so many different options and in some cases it takes so much equipment. I'm with Ron. Roll it up on a tree branch or piece of wood. If it gets too heavy get another one.

TexasBred":1gso589h said:
greybeard":1gso589h said:
TexasBred":1gso589h said:
Maybe I just didn't realize there were so many different options and in some cases it takes so much equipment. I'm with Ron. Roll it up on a tree branch or piece of wood. If it gets too heavy get another one.
One year I had 14 miles of single strand small wire. Now I use 2 strands of heavy high tinsel. Don't do as many fields as the year I had 14 though. Still have a lot out. Bout 450 acres in two strand.
Ain't using a tree branch.

jedstivers":3j8p18uf said:
TexasBred":3j8p18uf said:
greybeard":3j8p18uf said:
One year I had 14 miles of single strand small wire. Now I use 2 strands of heavy high tinsel. Don't do as many fields as the year I had 14 though. Still have a lot out. Bout 450 acres in two strand.
I doubt you would use anything that required you to carry 14 miles of wire in your hands. Bet you don't gather corn by hand either. :mrgreen:

TexasBred":9mb1tu9f said:
jedstivers":9mb1tu9f said:
TexasBred":9mb1tu9f said:
I doubt you would use anything that required you to carry 14 miles of wire in your hands. Bet you don't gather corn by hand either. :mrgreen:
Nope, we got to move along.

I found this little guy at a consignment sale and picked it up for $35. We run cows on corn stocks through the winter and put out quite a bit of electric fence every year and have had to pay the neighbor to roll it up for us the past few years. I will have to build some spools to put wire on, but hopefully it saves us some time and money in the long run. I don't think one would be too hard to build. Get a little briggs and stratton horizontal drive engine and put your pulleys on it that you need to a shaft that you can put a spool on.

customcattle":1fkit7dn said:
I found this little guy at a consignment sale and picked it up for $35. We run cows on corn stocks through the winter and put out quite a bit of electric fence every year and have had to pay the neighbor to roll it up for us the past few years. I will have to build some spools to put wire on, but hopefully it saves us some time and money in the long run. I don't think one would be too hard to build. Get a little briggs and stratton horizontal drive engine and put your pulleys on it that you need to a shaft that you can put a spool on.

We use same principle for rolling and unrolling hot wire for stalks. Have a couple Chevy pick up rims that we bolt and to a shaft that has pto coupler on one end and a Chevy wheel hub on the other. Throttle the tractor down low and she flat rolls up some wire quick. Just use an old sycamore branch to keep the wire moving up and down the rim evenly.

I knew a guy who used a post hole auger. He took the auger bit off and mounted a home made reel on it. Even with the tractor running slow it brought the wire in fast. He was using it to pick up old barb wire around CRP ground. It got real exciting when a chunk of an old wood post would come in still attached to the wire. But there is no reason it wouldn't work for high tensile wire.

My bride somehow manages to move the hot wire all the way to town without ever getting out of her rig. It's taken most of a 30 pack to unwind it off the driveshaft.
No, it's not reusable.

Latest posts