Rolling up electric fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I have some old rusty electric wire that needs to be replaced
Any cheap way to roll it up on something and throw it away without buying something

Cross-7":2i5q8485 said:
Any cheap way to roll it up on something and throw it away without buying something

Roll it up on a piece of wood or tree branch. If you want to get fancy, make a winder out of wood with a handle.

If you have enough, might be worth throwing it in a scrap pile to be sold.

It's about a miles worth or more
A 5 gallon buck would work to wrap it on but it'd be a pain

If I have much to do, I also roll it up on barrel. Great work out for the kids.

I built a small roller for my tractor that runs off PTO. You have to have the wire free of obstructions and wear gloves and use s piece of pipe as a spool guide but it makes short work of rolling wire

:nod:
M-5":d6v3l612 said:
I built a small roller for my tractor that runs off PTO. You have to have the wire free of obstructions and wear gloves and use s piece of pipe as a spool guide but it makes short work of rolling wire

There was a guy that used to run lots of wheat calves on lease ground.
He'd jack up the back of the pickup and pull off the tire and put on a wheel and tie the wire through the valve stem hole then put it in gear and roll it up real slow.
But the only way to get it off the wheel is to unroll it and it has to be good wire or it'll break when pulling it

Cross-7":3isn8doq said:

Piece of 1/2 inch allthread, several nuts and washers, old electric fence wire spool and a cordless drill.

1982vett":24n33xrv said:
Cross-7":24n33xrv said:

Piece of 1/2 inch allthread, several nuts and washers, old electric fence wire spool and a cordless drill.

There you go
Why I posted
That'll work
Thanks

I use old pivot rims. They are the perfect size.
I use a machine that rolls up old irregation poly tubing, it has a hyd motor on it. I just unroll when we put up again.
I know you are talking about getting rid of the wire, I also have a old roller that runs off pto and uses nothing to stay in the center of the roll. It has two halves that come apart to get the wire out of it.
It's real old and I can't remember the name.

1982vett":2zxxjrop said:
Spinning Jenny?

Will work, but slow and a pita.
I tried to roll some HT back up on one last year. It don't go back on there nearly as easy and fast as it came off, and I'd sure hate to roll up a whole mile of it with one. Might work ok for the 17 and 14 ga alum tho, or even the 9 ga alum, but it's a chore with the HT galvanized wire.

I use 1982 vette's method for polywire.. rolls up a 1/4 mile in no time flat.. not sure how well it would work on anything heavier than 20ga steel though.

Spinning jenny is a PITA for HT wire, but still the best option if you want to reuse it.

I rolled up a whack of thin steel wire with the rototiller.. worked nearly as well as a bushhog!

I will NEVER AGAIN use soft steel wire for electric fence mainlines.. way too weak.. From now on it's 12.5ga HT, the deer can bounce off it forever and it'll stay put, even if the insulators break

greybeard":2sx8t1n1 said:
I've been doin it wrong.
I've always used a bush hog.......... :cry:
I found some old field fence with the brush hog today. Not near as easy to get off as high tensile hot wire.

greybeard":1ld9nhrq said:
I tried to roll some HT back up on one last year. It don't go back on there nearly as easy and fast as it came off, and I'd sure hate to roll up a whole mile of it with one.

Roll it up on a 55 gallon drum if your lower back is good.

Latest posts