Rodeo bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

WAguy

Reaction score
Was watching a PBR event on TV tonight. I have to confess I'm usually for the bulls. Many are amazing athletes.

Was wondering what some of the breeds were. One looked like a plain old hereford. (My dad threw me on a ton+ hereford at age ten and he just kept on walking.) Others some brahman. Some black ones that are who knows what - one with some white looking alittle holstein.

Do you selectively breed them, or just pick one from the cowherd? Apparently some good money in them now.

They are bred for bloodlines.Not breeds.All have some brammer in them but thats the extent of trying to go with a certain breed.You'll see some that look like brafords,brangus,charbray etc.If they buck I dont care if thery're Brown Swiss.

Back when I was a kid the event used to be called "Brahma bull riding". Now its just Bull riding and its rare to see many bucking bulls with much Brahma influence in them. The occasional bull has a little hump but most are completely flat behind the crest of the neck.They seem to be breeding them to be a composite bull of some sort with many of them being spotted which is not really a brahma trait. I see lots of blacks, Simmental type, greys, tall ones short ones. In fact I haven't seen a bucking bull that looks pure Brahma in decades.

I am curious as to what their disposition is when they are not "working"? Seems like some of those guys know their job is to be fury for 8 seconds and when the buzzer sounds and the rider is off they head for the alley. They surely are some fine athletes. Would love to see a rodeo bull operation.

Raising rodeo bulls is turning into a big $$$ business down this way. You may only get 1 bull out of 100 that makes it but once proven he may bring you huge money. Some like the big heavy bulls, some want the smaller quicker bulls (the cowboys nightmare I'm told). The ones I've seen in the pasture are not wild but certainly are not docile by any means. These folks want bulls that buck hard but not so mean that they want to try to kill every rider. Watched a tv auction a while back where they were selling cattle only for rodeo stock breeding. Now those rascals did look like they would look you up in a heartbeat.

a stock contractor once tould me that purebred brahman bulls or fullblood for that matter were bad to sull and get mad and quit bucking. that the cross bred were the buckers. he was local, and worked at a couple sale barns and buy a few bull's take em home buck em out. the buckers stayed of course and he carried the others back to the sale and run emback through the next week.

Sometimes I wonder if there are bulls that are too good, i.e. completely unridable. I see some that bust out of the chute straight up, spin in midair and go completely opposite direction, ditching the rider within half second. Don't see how any human can stick with them. Maybe they can be ridden on a bad day?

Sunday saw a guy whose ride was so furious he broke his femur before getting bucked off. Hard to watch a leg flopping around like that, but just keep reminding myself they do it voluntarily.

I've wondered about disposition, too, CKC. Sometimes in the chute they look like they could fall asleep.

WAguy":29hsgbzc said:
Sometimes I wonder if there are bulls that are too good, i.e. completely unridable. I see some that bust out of the chute straight up, spin in midair and go completely opposite direction, ditching the rider within half second. Don't see how any human can stick with them. Maybe they can be ridden on a bad day?

Sunday saw a guy whose ride was so furious he broke his femur before getting bucked off. Hard to watch a leg flopping around like that, but just keep reminding myself they do it voluntarily.

I've wondered about disposition, too, CKC. Sometimes in the chute they look like they could fall asleep.
that's right their handled so much it's just another day on the job for em. they are performer's just like the cowboy's..... with a little extra motivation pulled tight around their flank ;-)

Some times when they clean out places they get "buyers" over there and they will pick out bulls that they want to take for possible future rodeo stars. Most have had little to no interaction with people but by the time they go through all the stuff they get use to being run through pins.

I've known a few bulls that would have been good candidates. :shock: One in particular may have been donated :lol: atleast if it were up to me he would have been. I had already volunteered my gun.

I wonder how long the bucking bull business can stay this good. It seems that it may run into the same problem as the ostrich industry. I will say there is a use for them and they do wear out and need replaced but i think we are producing more than we need right now.

Back when I was riding, I also worked for a stock contractor. I found most rodeo bulls are relatively easy to handle. Like any other cows the more that they get handled the easier they are to work with. The really mean ones generally don't buck as well because they spend there time looking for a fight. The crew also has to handle them. So the real mean ones get slaughtered. They are getting more and more breeding for buckers and females with those good blood lines are worth a lot too. But I wonder just how many bucking bulls are needed.
The Brahman influence really depends on the part of the country you are in. The further south you go the more brahman breeding there will be in the bulls. Just like other cattle the heat will effect them. A big heavy Char bull is less likely to keep bucking in a hot summer in the south than a lighter bull with some ear to him. On the other hand that lighter eared bull wont winter so good up north. The contractor I worked for was located in north eastern Washington. He had a lot of Charolais in his bull herd and not much brahman blood. He sold a bunch of bulls that bucked real good up here to a contractor in Oklahoma and they didn't hold up well at all down there.

I don't see the bucking bull business to go down hill anytime soon unless a recession hits th US and people stop going to rodeos. I don't think you can produce to many either becasue they can always go to slaughter and the best of the best stay. Those bulls have an ego like none other though. If they get ridden the whole 8 sec the manager will take them bac kto little rodeos to build up their confidence again. They work with them a lot and basically train them in a way. I've see them train them with dummies and such on their backs to get them bucking really well then move them up to a person that will jump off and jsut ride tehm a little bit to build confidence. As long as people keep going to rodeos the bucking bull business is going to stay strong. The only porblem is that you are on the road constantly going to events and such.Just my thoughts on it though.

I would think the Char influence would be a great benefit with the heavier bone they have. Tremendous force coming down on those legs. Some of those guys are poetry in motion and how they are able to leap in the air and twist all that weight is just amazing. I wonder why the Brahman have been "phased" out, suppose they wanted a smaller frame??
Fascinating subject.

Bucking bulls score points just like the cowboys on their back. The bulls are tested in private arenas. Then are moved into small rodeos to prove themselves, gradually working up to the national finals if they make the grade. Often semen is collected and sold just like any other breeding bull.
Pure brahman is a problem in the chute as they like to sulk and go down. F1 brafords make good bucking stock, High bred attitude.

LimousinGirl":pijsl9u5 said:
Hey, neat subject guys! :) You gotta love bullriding! :nod: (except for the music, man how it busts your eardrums!)
well the girl's sure like the bull ride'in. the indoor pratice pen were i would practice calf ropin during the winter months had two bucking chute's and some fellers wanted to practice and buck out a couple bull's. well they brought the bulls a few riders and about 25 girl's :cowboy:

Latest posts