Rita

Help Support CattleToday:

D.R. Cattle":26vtunaz said:
If any of yall Texans get hit hard, what's mine is yours. I know it'll be tough to get the word out, but ask and you shall receive. My conscience pesters me to death to see a brother in need and not help him out.

Ditto what D.R said from Ohio. I know I'm pretty far away but I have a CDL and easy access to more than rig.

Wish ya'll well.

Got gas today. Tonight every station had long lines of cars waiting to fill up. Gonna head out Thursday morning to College Station and stay with my brother. Taking the cattle off tomorrow to get them to safety. My best guess is that this storm will be a Category 5 by the time it hits. Supposed to be a 4 tomorrow afternoon, and that leaves 2 days to strengthen. Still projected straight into Houston.

our son is going to school in houston...its on the north side kinda by spring, texas...how far do ya think this weather will come in to land....i think i saw a sign near his apt. that showed galveston was 65 miles. we told him to be ready to get his self home in a moments notice. TXcountryboy let everyone know whats taking place down yonder, that is untill ya leave out...
BE CAREFUL, AND STAY SAFE

samm":1o03hqnj said:
our son is going to school in houston...its on the north side kinda by spring, texas...how far do ya think this weather will come in to land....i think i saw a sign near his apt. that showed galveston was 65 miles. we told him to be ready to get his self home in a moments notice. TXcountryboy let everyone know whats taking place down yonder, that is untill ya leave out...

65 miles, not safe. Hurricane force winds are expected with a Category 3 all the way to College Station, 100 miles away from Houston. Ill try to keep yall updated, but being in College Station still in hurricane force winds I dont know if there will be power there.

You folks planning to leave from where are, leave early. I haven't looked at your evacuation routes, but don't get caught in a mess of traffic like out of New Orleans and the coast in evacuations. If you think you may get in traffic, make sure you have what you need to take care of "physiological needs" in your vehicle with you.

If you are in low areas near the coast and that storm goes up to a four, get the hell out. I'm not saying stay if it is a three.
Judging by things this way, power may be off from a few hours to three weeks or so.

The best to everybody in Louisiana and Texas.

Ryder":2zyf8y9k said:
You folks planning to leave from where are, leave early. I haven't looked at your evacuation routes, but don't get caught in a mess of traffic like out of New Orleans and the coast in evacuations. If you think you may get in traffic, make sure you have what you need to take care of "physiological needs" in your vehicle with you.

If you are in low areas near the coast and that storm goes up to a four, get the hell out. I'm not saying stay if it is a three.
Judging by things this way, power may be off from a few hours to three weeks or so.

The best to everybody in Louisiana and Texas.

Its already a 3, so I guess its time to leave.

Looking at the latest US Navy forcast Hurricane Carla round 2. Dang Rita got cross hairs on Matagorda Bay just like Carla. Are we in for a mess population of Texas City-Galveston area has went from a farming enviroment to house on top of house.
Some of these kids and Yankees(no offense intended) are fixing to get a wake up call.

Everyone needs to CALM DOWN!!! We need to remember that most all of the devistation from Hurricane Katrina was not caused by the hurrican itself but by the flooding. Peole are really freaked out about this hurricane. We need to be prepared but not scared. We are not a soup bowl waiting to be filled with water like NO. Its very sad what happened over there but look at the eleivations. Texas will westher the storm much better. We need to be prepared not scared!

txshowmom":gwq7tt86 said:
Everyone needs to CALM DOWN!!! We need to remember that most all of the devistation from Hurricane Katrina was not caused by the hurrican itself but by the flooding. Peole are really freaked out about this hurricane. We need to be prepared but not scared. We are not a soup bowl waiting to be filled with water like NO. Its very sad what happened over there but look at the eleivations. Texas will westher the storm much better. We need to be prepared not scared!
Mississippi coast is not New Orleans and not in a soup bowl. They were very calm too long and slow evacuating. Homes destroyed. Don't know how many people dead. Trent Lott's home had weathered everything for 150 years in Pascagoula and was several feet above sea level. This last storm got it.
A 4 or 5 storm is very dangerous.

samm":30ye8d42 said:

The last that I heard on the news, they are predicting 74 + mile an hour winds all the way up to almost Huntsville.

Back in 83, I was in high school when Alicia came in, trees were down everywhere all the way to Huntsville. We lost 4 out of 5 trees in the yard and the only one that was left standing was damaged so bad that it had to be taken down. Electric was out for a couple weeks, and it took us along time to get all the down trees cut off the fence lines. Entergy is saying that the power will probably be out this time for a couple weeks, which means where we live it will probably be out 3 to 4 weeks. But, we have a generator so not a problem this time around.

mom

Ryder":25k816m6 said:
txshowmom":25k816m6 said:
Mississippi coast is not New Orleans and not in a soup bowl. They were very calm too long and slow evacuating. Homes destroyed. Don't know how many people dead. Trent Lott's home had weathered everything for 150 years in Pascagoula and was several feet above sea level. This last storm got it.
A 4 or 5 storm is very dangerous.

Ryder as usual you hit the nail on the head if Rita comes in a Carla type storm TSM will be singing a different tune. I have seen what a Cat 5. Stay all of you that want helps clean the gene pool.

... Hurricane Rita similar to hurricane Carla...

Strong and powerful Hurricane Rita will be moving along a path
similar to hurricane Carla... a major hurricane that hit the central
Texas coast near Port O'Connor on September 11, 1961.

Despite making landfall nearly 200 miles from the southwest Louisiana
coast... carla's effects were felt across southeast Texas and
southwest Louisiana.

Location winds (mph) rain (inches) tides (feet)
Sabine Pass 10
Port Arthur 48 gust 55 4.76 7.8 (record)
Cameron gust 50 6.5
Lake Charles 44 gust 55 1.58
Morgan City 5.57

Across southwest Louisiana... some damage occurred to house roofs and
glass windows along with downed tree limbs. Some locations on the
lower Calcasieu River near Lake Charles Rose to one foot above flood
stage.

If Rita continues on the same path... with a landfall along the
central Texas coast... similar effects will be possible across
southeast Texas and southwest Louisiana. With the storm making
landfall west of the area... heavy rains with totals of 3 to 6
inches... tropical storm force winds... storm surge 6 to 8 feet and
tornadoes could occur.

a few years ago a Cat 5 tornado leveled Jarrell, Texas. My husband responded with telephone services. It looked like someone swept everything up with a broom. I can only imagine what a Cat 5 hurricane will do. Better safe than sorry.

Mandatory evacuations required by noon tomorrow on the coast. They are saying it will be a Cat 1 or 2 when it hits College Station.

God's speed to you all.

Tornado levels and Hurricane levels are totally different by their respective scales. Tornadoes more powerfull wind, but devastate tiny areas compared to a tropical system which inundate with water both by rain and tidal sources. Scientists say the energy exhausted by a hurricane in one day is equal to the energy of 1000 nuclear detonations.

D.R. Cattle":34yai9a8 said:
Tornado levels and Hurricane levels are totally different by their respective scales. Tornadoes more powerfull wind, but devastate tiny areas compared to a tropical system which inundate with water both by rain and tidal sources. Scientists say the energy exhausted by a hurricane in one day is equal to the energy of 1000 nuclear detonations.

the only positive toward the hurricane side is you don't have a radioactive parking lot afterwards, just a cluttered one

Everyone that is even remotely close to Rita path is in my prayers. Please be safe, guys and gals. To borrow something I heard on the radio today, homes and businesses can be rebuilt, human lives cannot. Take care and stay safe and well!

Latest posts