Rita

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground Cattle":2frcxw60 said:
Stocked up on water,food and gasoline for the generator, probably won't need it. I am sure Fema cards will be on the way.

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tr ... model.html

Heck, I got hit twice last year and never saw FEMA more/less any cards. Based I on what I have heard I should be getting two huh? From what I heard about FEMA here last year all they did was A. Go to Miami that didn't get hit and pass out free money to poor and B. Set up shop in town for loans for the rest of us. They wouldn't even put a tarp on my GF's grandma house. The church had to do it. They sure tarped a bunch of other roof's though.

Oh crap. I heard there was a chance it might hit Houston, but I guess everyone is saying it will now. Not good. I live in Houston. My cattle are inside a barn in Houston. No pasture to turn them out into either. Just a somewhat small corral.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":92bv16r9 said:
Oh crap. I heard there was a chance it might hit Houston, but I guess everyone is saying it will now. Not good. I live in Houston. My cattle are inside a barn in Houston. No pasture to turn them out into either. Just a somewhat small corral.

Well if it is a really well built barn and the hurricane is say no more than a cat 3 they might be ok. I suspect you either have a really big barn or a small group of cattle. They may be better off in the small corral than inside depending on the barn IMHO.

The barn is probably a 60x40 barn. It has 6 cattle in it (2 of mine). The barn is a wood frame with tin nailed on the wood. Plus its probably 15 years old. I wouldnt expect it to withstand a hurricane.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1ec91fdl said:
The barn is probably a 60x40 barn. It has 6 cattle in it (2 of mine). The barn is a wood frame with tin nailed on the wood. Plus its probably 15 years old. I wouldnt expect it to withstand a hurricane.

We talked about this on another thread. I believe the consensus was to have them out in the open or haul them off to a safe place. With only two you might be able to find a friend who will let you take them to his place and put in an open pasture for a few days. The problem I have witnessed with barns is they collapse on the livestock inside. I have seen horses killed in this fashion. I like to give mine a fighting chance. I leave them to their own devices in open fields.

Yup, same here for two in two weeks, FEMA did come out though...to do a survey was all. They did say they would send some one around to check the farms , but never seen a one. Actually think I prefer it that way.

If I have counted correctly, there are at this very moment 5 different hurricanes or serious storms out there waiting to do some damage, two in the pacific, and three in the atlantic...if my count correct?

Would it make sense to hope that if it does come, it hits New Orleans again instead of some new area? As the old saying goes, if the barn is already burned to the ground, another fire aint gonna hurt it.

Maybe Al Quada is right, Allah is punishing the infidels.? Or maybe the Bible is right........predicted devestation by nature in the end times? Or maybe just the scientists are right.........global warming and all. :?:

Medic24":2h2a3cpw said:
Yup, same here for two in two weeks, FEMA did come out though...to do a survey was all. They did say they would send some one around to check the farms , but never seen a one. Actually think I prefer it that way.

If I have counted correctly, there are at this very moment 5 different hurricanes or serious storms out there waiting to do some damage, two in the pacific, and three in the atlantic...if my count correct?

Would it make sense to hope that if it does come, it hits New Orleans again instead of some new area? As the old saying goes, if the barn is already burned to the ground, another fire aint gonna hurt it.

Maybe Al Quada is right, Allah is punishing the infidels.? Or maybe the Bible is right........predicted devestation by nature in the end times? Or maybe just the scientists are right.........global warming and all. :?:

Heck this aint the most active year, that one occured in the forties or fifties have to go look it back up.
An average Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 through November 30, produces 10 named storms in which six become hurricanes, including two major hurricanes with winds of at least 111 mph. The most active hurricane season was in 1933 with 21 storms, followed by 1995 with 19 storms. The most hurricanes in a season was 12 in 1969, and the highest number of major hurricanes was eight in 1950.

Looks like I will dodge another bullet this year so far. I hope that things keeps going west for you folks in Texas.

They had Rita all over the local news here this morning and I don't think there is a chance of it making it this far west. Either it was a slow news day this morning or all the news people have hurricanes on their minds.
Dave

Dave":37gbgqu7 said:
They had Rita all over the local news here this morning and I don't think there is a chance of it making it this far west. Either it was a slow news day this morning or all the news people have hurricanes on their minds.
Dave

When I said keep going west for you folks in Texas I meant keep going west as in Mexico!

We will probably end up going to my brothers apartment in College Station. We will most likely send the critters to another Ag teachers place about a hundred miles north of Houston. We probably will take the animals up their just to be safe, but we probably wont leave unless they say to evacuate Houston. That would be one giant mess. 3 million people trying to leave at the same time and every major highway is torn apart for construction for the last 6 years, some down to 1 lane open. Could be fun trying to get out of here.

Geez - I just got out of our "Disaster Recovery" meeting. Looks like if we end up losing power for more then 3 days we will be moving our "core" office - me included - to Dallas. :x What a hassel. Everyone else in the office except the IT dept has Fri off now to prepare, we (IT dept) will be huffing all our systems up to the 2nd floor of the office in case of flooding. Fun......

If Rita comes my way and now it looks like she'll come in around Matagorda Bay instead of Freeport(of course that can alway change we all are really watching the highs and low pressure fronts). I'm planning on taking lots of pictures, I rode out Hurricane Alicia in 83 and she came on shore at night when the eye passed over my mothers house there was complete silence and it was beautifuly peaceful! We were able to look straight up through the eye wall and see the stars sure wish I had taken pictures then. But we all know that after the eye passed over the back side of the storm was coming......

I Love Beefies":2bajinia said:
If Rita comes my way and now it looks like she'll come in around Matagorda Bay instead of Freeport(of course that can alway change we all are really watching the highs and low pressure fronts). I'm planning on taking lots of pictures, I rode out Hurricane Alicia in 83 and she came on shore at night when the eye passed over my mothers house there was complete silence and it was beautifuly peaceful! We were able to look straight up through the eye wall and see the stars sure wish I had taken pictures then. But we all know that after the eye passed over the back side of the storm was coming......

Nice knowin you cause if this girl comes a shore with current predictions, you had better be able to tread water like you are from New Orleans. Alica was a kitten barely a Cat 3 really a strong 2 when she came in.

At 3PM CDT, Hurricane Rita will be near 23.9N/81.8W, or about 50 miles south of Key West, FL. Rita is moving to the west at 13 mph. Maximum sustained winds are up to 100-105 mph, with gusts to 130 mph. Central pressure was last reported to be 976 millibars, or 28.82 inches.

There are no major changes to our forecast track on this advisory. However, we have indicated a little more strengthening over the initial 24-48 hours. Rita's central pressure continues to fall fairly rapidly this afternoon, and we think that surface winds will reach Category 3 strength of 115 mph within the next 6-12 hours. Currently, heaviest squalls continue to impact the Key West area, but conditions are improving in Miami. One band of heavy squalls is located about 30 miles south of Naples, but we think that these squalls will probably remain to the south of Naples as Rita moves off to the west this afternoon and this evening.

We are becoming more confident that Rita will make landfall along the Texas coast between Corpus Christi and Sabine Pass. But we remain uncertain as to the exact point of landfall. It's quite likely that we'll be making further adjustments as to the point of landfall up through Friday morning as we see how quickly Rita makes that northwesterly turn on Thursday.

As for intensity, Rita should become a major Category 3 hurricane this evening. In 24-36 hours, Rita will be over some very warm water in the central Gulf of Mexico. We think it is likely that Rita could reach Category 4 strength of 135-145 mph as it crosses this warm water, but some weakening will likely occur once the hurricane moves west of the warmer water and approaches the Texas coast on Friday.

A Category 3 hurricane could produce a storm surge of 12-14 feet near where the eye crosses the coast and northeast of the landfall point for about 30-60 miles. This surge would be enhanced in bays and inlets along the coast. For example, a landfall near or just east of Freeport, TX could produce a storm surge of 15-20 feet across western and northern parts of Galveston Bay.

Chris Hebert

And the winds are spread out pretty good. I'm 4 hours or better North of Key West and it's blowin a good Noreaster here with frequent wicked rain squalls.

If any of yall Texans get hit hard, what's mine is yours. I know it'll be tough to get the word out, but ask and you shall receive. My conscience pesters me to death to see a brother in need and not help him out.

Latest posts